We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alaska/yukon border crossing

Which Dawson City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
illinois
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
alaska/yukon border crossing

what DATES are the borders open in september. We plan on being in Dawson around the 20th of september and driving on to Alaska in an RV. How are the roads and when are the borders closed.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alaska/yukon border crossing

If you are talking about driving from Dawson and up to the town of Chicken, Alaska, I believe that will be too late in the year......but you can travel across the border on the Alaska Highway, that route (and the border station) is open all year.....The border stations crossing just north of Skagway, Alaska into Canada and just north of Haines, Alaska into Canada are also open all year.....

Yukon Territory...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: alaska/yukon border crossing

The official word as of 5 minutes ago is that the highway is closing on September 21st this year. Normally it depends on the weather (it closes when the permanent snow arrives) but this year for the first time an arbitrary date has been set.

Yukon Territory...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: alaska/yukon border crossing

Be aware, though, that there is virtually nothing tourist-related open in Dawson in late September - their season winds down very quickly after the August 15th long weekend (Discovery Day).

Dawson City
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: alaska/yukon border crossing

Diamond Tooth Gerties is open from May 7th to Sept.25th 2010. The Dawson City museum is open until the end of September as is the Trondek Hwitchin Cultural centre. Parks Canada self guided walking tours are available at the visitors center on Front st. and Jack London Museum is available until the weekend after Labor Day. Labor Day weekend hosts the Klondike International Outhouse Race and the Klondike Slo-Pitch Tounament while the next weekend is the WhiteRam Texas Hold'em Poker Tounaments. Dawson is in and of itself a living Museum. You will not be disappointed.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,724 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: alaska/yukon border crossing

SwiftwaterBill;

The OP was travelling September 2009

Old post.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alaska/yukon border crossing

Yes, it is an old post but new and very useful information.

SwiftwaterBill, welcome to this helpful forum. Those of us who travel to or through Yukon would be very grateful if you can contribute here once a while. I'm planning our third road trip to Alaska but once again I'm dismissing a side trip to Dawson City since I'm not sure I feel comfortable with unpaved roads in our regular car. We would travel from Whitehorse but then through Chicken to Tok, AK. What can you tell me about the roads.

Can you check the Alaska forum too? Most often questions about visiting Dawson City are posted there. Thanks and I appreciate this and all your upcoming contributions.

Places

7. Re: alaska/yukon border crossing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2010, 03:15