We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria or Nanaimo?

Sudbury, Ontario
2 posts
Save Topic
Victoria or Nanaimo?

Hello, I am a student finishing up high school in Ontario. I am moving to Vancouver Island for university and applying to both uVic and VIU. I am looking forward to outdoor activities like hiking, surfing and kayaking. I also like scenery a lot, and I am also very in to playing music. Which do you figure is a better place for me to live, Victoria or Nanaimo? From looking at pictures, Nanaimo seems to appeal to me more, it just looks much nicer than Victoria, but maybe I'm just not seeing it because I'm not actually there.

Thanks for the help

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,179 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria or Nanaimo?

Victoria is larger and IMO has more to offer than Nanaimo ( sorry BuccaneerDave ;))

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria or Nanaimo?

"Nanaimo seems to appeal to me more, it just looks much nicer than Victoria...."

Not even close-but this post will soon be deleted since TA doesn't facilitate relocation enquiries.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria or Nanaimo?

Go for Victoria - more opportunities for all your interests. It's only a 1 1/2 hr drive to Nanaimo if you want to go there for a day.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria or Nanaimo?

Sorry Nanaimites but -- are you kidding? Hands down Victoria

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,286 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria or Nanaimo?

As a UVIC grad, I would also say Victoria is a great place to study and live in. I had a great time and really enjoyed a lot of the outdoor offerings in the Victoria area.

Vancouver Island University is a smaller, more intimate campus. UVIC is a much larger, more institutional university. You really need to visit both to get a taste of the different styles.

But having said that, to each his own. Both communities have good attributes and are very different. Who can really say which is more appealing to you. Your best bet would be to check out both places before making a decision.

Good luck at uni!

Nanaimo, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria or Nanaimo?

Depends on your personality. Victoria is a great place to be. Very lively! There's lots going on, things to do and see. Nanaimo is very laid back, and it's a small city. I live in Nanaimo and enjoy it here b/c of the slower pace and the immensely huge outdoor recreation available throughout the year. Some students find it easier to study here, and makes those trips out to Victoria or Vancouver that much more exciting when they're planning a weekend away or a holiday. But same could be said for students in Victoria.

Whichever you end up choosing, welcome to the Island! It's a beautiful place!

7. Re: Victoria or Nanaimo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2011, 00:16