We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a train can take me from Prince George to Prince Rupert?

Which Prince George hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
7 posts
Save Topic
a train can take me from Prince George to Prince Rupert?

If so, can you give me the details, and how many KM it would take to get there...and perhaps the departure and arrival location? Thanks

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a train can take me from Prince George to Prince Rupert?

www.viarail.ca

Clairmont AB
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: a train can take me from Prince George to Prince Rupert?

The train ride takes about 12 hours - get a sleeper car if you can, and leave at night. Not much to see this time of year anyways. I believe it is about 500 klms.

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a train can take me from Prince George to Prince Rupert?

This is NO sleeper train from Prince George to Prince Rupert. It's a daylight trip in order for passengers to enjoy the scenery.

Montreal
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: a train can take me from Prince George to Prince Rupert?

Something to ask about:

When you travel Prince Rupert to Prince George, there is an overnight stop in Prince George, meaning you have to book a hotel room before completing the journey the next day.

Is there a similar issue going to opposite way?

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a train can take me from Prince George to Prince Rupert?

The Via Skeena train has an overnight stop in Prince George both ways between Jasper and Prince Rupert. The hotel stay is not included in the train fare and passengers must make separate own overnight accommodation arrangements.

I guess that the idea is not to miss any of the beautiful scenery with the train travelling through the night.

Air Canada Jazz has regular air service into Prince Rupert from Vancouver. For Jasper, Edmonton will be the nearest airport. You will either have to take the train, bus or rent a car to get to Jasper.

I am thinking of doing this trip in August and this is what my research has found out so far.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a train can take me from Prince George to Prince Rupert?

We are in the middle of this trip right now - we took the train from Jasper a few days ago, stopped overnight in Prince George and then got off in Smithers for a few days. We get on the train again tomorrow through to Rupert. We have seen countless moose - alive and dead (beside the tracks), and have lost track of the number of bald eagles we have seen. It has been a very enjoyable trip so far, and I am looking forward to the next portion of the train trip.

Jasper to PG is 8 hours by train.. PG to Prince Rupert is 12 hours in total.

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a train can take me from Prince George to Prince Rupert?

For those taking the Via Skeena with a forced overnight stop at Prince George and requiring a taxi to take you from the railway station to your hotel, please arrange for one in advance, or find out how to get to your hotel on foot. Have a taxi company phone no. handy. Use your mobile phone to ring the taxi company to reconfirm as the train arrives at the station. Otherwise, it will be a long and frustrating wait for a taxi. A few weeks ago, when we arrived on the Skeena from Jasper at about 8PM, there was not a single taxi at the railway station. There must be 15~20 of us queuing outside the main entrance. The person in front of me used her mobile phone to ring the taxi company and was told by the despatcher that six taxis were on their way having been alerted by the Via agent on the arrival of the train. If more were needed, just asked one of the drivers to radio the company. Sounded fine but it took the first taxi another 15~20 minutes to arrive. Taxi drivers in PG are amongst the most unethical. They picked and chose fare, presumably based on distance rather than the 1st party waiting at the front of the queue. After 8 hours’ train trip from Jasper, everyone was tired and some readily acceded to the taxi driver’s demand for extra $$ to jump the queue to go first. We waited a good 50 minutes for a taxi from the time I alighted from the train and there were at least another 10 waiting when we left. There was absolutely nothing to do and we could not even find a restaurant open in the down town area for some light snack for other than a Tim Horton. No other store was open and the town was totally deserted. This town may be skipped.

Some beautiful scenery along the way, saw a few bears, deer, bald eagles as well as moose but trees on certain sections have grown very tall blocking the view. Bought Via’s Totem Deluxe class panorama car at >C$600 single from Jasper to Prince Rupert. Very poor value for the $$. Meals were included but tasted terrible. Worse than airline food. Same choices for lunch 2 days in a row. There were only 10 of us. The service attendants onboard tried their best. The Totem was serviced by a Via 1 first class car and there is also the dome car at the end for the Totem class passengers. Both the Totem and dome cars were quite worn and torn and definitely had seen better days. The cushions were ripped. There were about another 10 or so passengers in the Totem. Don’t think that this service will last very long. Glad to have done the trip though before it will inevitably be pulled due to lack of interest.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,019 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: a train can take me from Prince George to Prince Rupert?

Teddy-sorry to hear that Prince George as such a letdown-sounds like little has changed there over the years-it's hard bitten dump of a town hardly fit for human habitation that includes service people's attitudes not just the predominant awful stench from the mill.

Via Rail has offered poor value for decades now-I've posted here many times for people to pack their own food and expect nothing in terms of service from that sad sack excuse for a railway.

Milwaukee,WI.
Level Contributor
414 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: a train can take me from Prince George to Prince Rupert?

I do not think the Skeena is terrible at all.I have taken it twice in the past 2 years.,once from Jasper to Prince George and Prince Rupert then from Prince Rupert to Prince George. . Yes it may not be for everyone as they have had cutbacks with VIA rail in the past few years. Waiting in the terminal at Prince George was not a problem.However I used B&B Southfort Heritage House in Prince George where the owner picked me up and dropped me off for the train the next day. I have heard that food service may be susupended altogether due to cuts

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a train can take me from Prince George to Prince Rupert?

Although I can't say that the taxi drivers in PG were unethical or anything like that, I do have to agree with the previous poster's advice. When we did the trip last February, there was one or two taxis out front, which were snapped up by people ahead of us. The VIA people told us more were on the way, but it was a long wait. We had mistakenly booked a hotel that was not in the downtown area, but out near the highway, so walking was not an option. (My husband had mixed up two hotel chain names, and thought he had booked where he had had a good stay before, but it wasn't the same place. I did post a review on TA.) I think we waited about an hour for a taxi.