We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tofino "vacation"

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Regina...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tofino "vacation"

The plan is to fly to Victoria, rent a car and travel to Tofino/area. Can anyone recommend a hotel in Tofino that is affordable but still has some shine? and what places would you recommend are the best for surf lessons and/or sea kayaking?

We will be travelling in the month of April and are aware that it could be cool temperatures. Are surf lessons even allowed in April?

Please provide as much feedback or suggestions as possible; we want to hear what an experienced Tofino traveller has to say!

Thanks in advance.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tofino "vacation"

Re your accommodation request, have a look at Middle Beach Lodge -

http://www.middlebeach.com/

We have also stayed at Ocean Village - great location, but somewhat more "rustic" -

http://www.oceanvillageresort.com/

Sorry, don't know about surfing and kayaking lessons. However, here are a couple of general Tofino websites which may help (and other posters should be along shortly to also help out) -

http://www.tourismtofino.com/

hellobc.com/en-CA/RegionsCities/Tofino.htm

Edited: 11 January 2011, 18:08
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tofino "vacation"

Ocean Village is indeed rustic but on a great beach, has an indoor pool and is affordable.

You might also try Crystal Cove which is at the north end of McKenzie Beach. Superbly run property and excellent accommodation.

Middle Beach Lodge is fantastic and we have enjoyed all our stays (one of the first customers when they opened their doors!) but it is at the top end of the $$$ scale.

Another property we enjoy is Seastar Suites. On Lynn Road across the road from Chesterman Beach (no sea view as it's hidden by the monster homes). They have nicely done suites and an outdoor hottub. Would be more affordable than Crystal Cove and Middle Beach.

http://www.seastar-tofino.com/

As for surfing, again don't know much but my wife enjoyed her day's lesson with Surf Sister. Me, I only like looking at the sea!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tofino "vacation"

Middle Beach Lodge has two sets of accommodation. One, called the "Lodge at the Headlands" is, indeed, very $$$. However, the "Lodge at the Beach" has more modest accommodation. (But only one unit has kitchen facilities - the so-called "honeymoon suite" - and the views are not as good.)

Edited: 11 January 2011, 22:14
Regina...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tofino "vacation"

When is considered peak season? I've looked at all of your suggestions--and thank you very much for them, however, their starting prices are $195/night (for April) ...waaay over my budget!

Is this normal for Tofino to charge that much and call it the minimum charge?? If so, I may have to reconsider this vacation...

Thanks again everyone for all of yours suggestions!

Edited: 14 January 2011, 13:28
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tofino "vacation"

I would believe those rates you've seen on the web. Tofino is an expensive location to stay at. We generally stay in Tofino in the off-season as we feel the summer is not good value (unless we go camping but even then a privately run campground spot is about $45 a night).

Have you considered staying in Ucluelet. Also on the peninsula but about 25+ minutes away from Tofino. Pacific Rim National Park is between both towns. More working class and with lower cost accommodation. The Thornton Motel is a well run property.

http://www.thorntonmotel.ca/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tofino "vacation"

Yes, the Tofino area can be quite expense. However, we normally travel there in the off-season, including April, and there are often some bargains to be had (except over Easter weekend).

It's odd about Ocean Village. They have two types of accommodation - cabins right on the beach on duplexes further back. The duplexes are much less expensive than the cabins. Plugging some dates into their reservation system, it appears that duplexes are available at $135 until the end of March. Then, none of them are available until about May 3rd. I have done a bit of googling and there doesn't appear to be anything going on in Tofino, which would account for all the duplexes being booked. I do know that the resort was sold a year or two ago and that the new owners are doing upgrades. I am wondering if April has been set aside for reroofing or something major like that and they are doing all the duplexes at the same time.

I'm sorry that this didn't work out for you. As I mentioned in my previous e-mail, the location is amazing. Suggest that you follow Dave's advice and have a look at Ucluelet. This link will give you a starting point -

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g183794-Ucluelet_Bar…

Pacific Rim National Park (which so many people to over to see) is between Ucluelet and Tofino. So, Ucluelet is an easy, and somewhat less expensive alternative. However, I would assume that oceanfront would still be fairly expensive and, depending on your budget, you would be looking at something along the highway.

Edited: 14 January 2011, 23:23
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tofino "vacation"

What about trying Pacific SAnds for your dates? It's right on the beach and their rates are quite good. We almost booked there for over the holidays but decided to rent a house instead that being said the staff dealt with there were very nice.

One surf place you cab check is Live To Surf. We havent taken lessons yet but plan to on our return holiday in the summer (we fell in love with the area so much we are going back!!).

There will be surf lessons available...dint worry about that.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tofino "vacation"

Trying to find reasonably priced accommodations in Tofino is extremely tough during the peak season. All of the pricing is market driven and considerably overpriced for what you are getting. However, Tofino is still Tofino and well worth the visit.

My favourite hotel to recommend is the Best Western Tin Wis. It is the only hotel in the area to be operated by a local First Nations band and the cultural influence is evident in the rooms, common areas, staff, and restaurant. It`s a nice added bonus and I always feel that I am supporting the local community when I stay with them. They also have a great location situated right on Mackenzie Beach.

I would suggest getting a room with a kitchenette as it will help you save some money if you made your own breakfast or lunches. If you plan to do any whale or bear watching, kayaking or hot springs excursions, I highly recommend Remote Passages Marine Excursions. I believe that you can also book a package that combines an excursion with a stay at the Best Western.

Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tofino "vacation"

Middle Beach has both "at the lodge and "at the beach" rates. The beach rooms are lower priced but are small. They are very cute and rustic and if you get an ocean facing room you'll have a nice view. There are no TV's or phones. Ground floor ocean facing rates are $140 during your time frame according to their website. Tofino is a pretty expensive place to visit.

Here are some surfing ideas

http://www.pacificsurfschool.com/

http://surfsister.com/

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tofino "vacation"

You can send an email to info@tourismtofino.com outlining your dates, # of nights, # of people you are travelling with, budget guidelines and any specific requests and the staff at the Visitor Centre will forward your request to all the properties; and then those with availability that they think might be of interest to you will reply direct to you. There are B&Bs, resorts, vacation homes and suites and motels to choose from so I am sure you will find something that works for you.

Tofino is a quaint and beautiful place to be anytime of year but the weather can change a few times a day so pack layers of clothes and boots for the beach. You can do surf lessons in April, but kayaking may be a bit more weather dependant and you can probably book something when you arrive. Have fun!