We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is best time of year to visit?

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
When is best time of year to visit?

Or should I say, is there any time of the year that ISN'T recommended to visit Tofino?

Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is best time of year to visit?

It depends on your interests. In the winter you can expect a lot of rain and potentially high winds but many people go just to storm watch. July/August would be the best time in terms of warmer temperatures and sunshine but you really never know. I went last summer in July and it was drizzly and cool our entire trip. Tofino is gorgeous any time of year though. If you want to whale watch, May - Oct is the best time for that.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is best time of year to visit?

Here's the Environment Canada weather site for Tofino. You can access historical data by clicking on "more info" at the bottom of the page -

weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/…bc-17_metric_e.html

As stated, it really depends on your interests.

We tend not to go over the summer because it is high season, much more expensive and sometimes difficult to get accommodation. We also tend not to go over the winter months simply because of the rain. (Having said that, we were in Tofino many years ago on January 1st during an "el nino" year and it was so warm and sunny that people were in light jackets. However, that was most unusual and January 1st the next year was very different with wind, rain and cold temperatures.)

So, we tend to focus on the autumn (after Labour Day through mid-October) and the spring (mid-April - which can still be a bit raw to mid-June).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is best time of year to visit?

Thank you both for your replies and recommendations. Appreciate the feedback. I was originally wondering if it would be worth it to combine a few days in Tofino, followed by a few days skiing at Mount Washington before heading back to the mainland and Whistler, and then home. Now I'm thinking maybe some time around mid to end May would be nice - and not try to combine it with any skiing ..

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is best time of year to visit?

if you want the summer - start of september, after the labour day long weekend and the kids have gone back to school.

Tofino, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is best time of year to visit?

I would definitely combine a few days in Tofino with Mnt. Washington, lots of people do that. Febuary can be an awesome month in Tofino with generally very mild temperatures and lots of sun. It can also be a wonderful time to visit the hotsprings (especially around valentines day)! Ocean Outfitters is still running hotsprings tours daily, not to be missed!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: When is best time of year to visit?

The ocean is where it all happens.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When is best time of year to visit?

We were there last August and it was cool and foggy for the whole week. Apparently August is known as fogust. It was still beautiful but keep that in mind. The weather there is very unpredictable.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,942 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When is best time of year to visit?

I don't think there's huge variation between winter and summer in Tofino, really. It's a lush rainforest year round where rain is always a possibility. It's never freezing cold nor is it super hot - it's mild year round.

I've visited in both the height of summer (August) as well as December and February... and I've loved it every time.

Major differences that I can think of is that the ocean is absolutely wild with wave activity in the winter months - surfers come from far and wide at this time of year. By summer the crazy waves are gone and it's fairly tame... and of course, the days are longer (and accommodation is pricier) in the summer. But there's a magic to visiting in the winter as well... the lack of crowds, the trails to yourself, the sublime beauty of exploring rainforests and stormwatching - the sunsets can be insane, especially with the storm clouds on the horizon.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,942 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When is best time of year to visit?

I also want to say that the Pacific Ocean is freezing, so Tofino's not a beach destination if you're into sunbathing and swimming. It's precisely that reason why I don't really think it matters too much when you want to visit, unless you have a specific goal in mind (ie: whale watching, bear tours, etc.) - and in that case, you'll want to base your visit around migration patterns or wildlife seasonality.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,802 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When is best time of year to visit?

Just a heads up folks. This OP is from a year ago, so very old.