We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tofino without a car

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Tofino without a car

We are flying into Tofino from Vancouver and have decided not to rent a car. Is it still possible to get around without one? How is the public transportation?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tofino without a car

You're welcome!

Some people don't bother renting cars in Tofino because they can't drive or they're too young to rent one. Others do it because they're trying to save money. And some are hesitant about driving on the other side of the road.

But if you can drive and you can afford to rent a car for a day or two, it would definitely be worth it - no question. There is practically no traffic around Tofino, the roads are easy, and all the rental cars are automatic transmission so you don't have to worry about getting used to shifting gears with your other hand.

Vancouver, Victoria, and Whistler are places where you don't need a car to get around, but I definitely recommend having one in and around Tofino.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tofino without a car

... but if you can't rent a car, it's still definitely worth visiting. I guess that was my point. :) You can still experience Tofino without a car, it'll just take a lot of careful logistical planning and effort on your part... or you'll just have to be comfortable with the idea of hitchhiking (the quickest, most efficient way to get around without a car in that part of the island).

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tofino without a car

Thanks for all your advice. In the end we hired a car in Vancouver and drove it across because a) it was much cheaper than hiring a car in Nanaimo and b) it was easier for us to get to and from Horseshoe Bay where the ferries go. And we're really glad we did - driving was a doddle and it was good to have the freedom. In the end we stayed in Ucluelet - we weren't sure about staying in Ucluelet compared to Tofino but it was SO much cheaper, and having been to Tofino for the afternoon we're glad we didn't bother paying twice as much to stay there.

Definitely needed a car in the area, we would have struggled to see all that we wanted to. Amazing beaches in the Pacific Rim national park. Great whale watching trip from Jamie's in Ucluelet.

Stayed at the Waters Edge apartments which were super, would definitely recommend.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
52,025 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tofino without a car

Very glad to hear it all worked out for you AlanMeerkat, and that you had a great time. A car makes a big difference for that part of BC. Thanks for letting us know.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tofino without a car

Get a car - make it work some how. You want to be able to up and down between Uclulet and Tofino for forest and beach hiking. Maybe fly into Campbell River and rent there and then drive to Tofino. The drive is beautiful as well.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,037 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tofino without a car

Been, done and reported on in October/11 gatopaja :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,152 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tofino without a car

Re post #15 - I am seeing this happen right now from time to time on other TA forums that I follow. My theory is that many of us who are not travelling have a case of the January blahs, wishful thinking is taking over and, with it, the urge to talk about where we would rather be.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
23,114 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Tofino without a car

LOL itchy. So true. I'm spending a lot of time on the various forums at the moment. Need to go clean my house instead....! ;>

19. Re: Tofino without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 19:35
Ucluelet
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Tofino without a car

Personally, I would rent the car for this portion. Hire in Nanaimo and rent for the time you are in this area. Ucluelet has some spots to see, as well - www.wildpacifictrail.com and www.uclueletaquarium.org. The Town of Tofino and Ucluelet are located 42 km apart on each side of Long Beach. You can get by without the car....but, why? You'll be confined to the very limited schedule of the Beach Bus - see www.tofinobus.com. You may wish to try surfing - difficult without a car or spend the entire day at the beach. Just my opinion, but if you are on a really limited budget and are in good shape - a bike or scooter rental is possible.