We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels near UBC

Alberta
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
hotels near UBC

Am planning to visit my daughter studying at UBC.

As staying on campus is very expensive could somebody recommend a hotel that is convenient for travelling to UBC. I will be using public transport.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels near UBC

Unfortunately there are no hotels worth staying at near UBC. However... you can stay at any hotel downtown and take the number 44 bus which has a few stops along Burrard direct to UBC which is pretty quick. I would 100% recommend booking a 4* hotel through priceline or hotwire to save a lot of money and then take this bus.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels near UBC

Actually I don't think there are any hotels period near UBC, however there are a few B&Bs in the Kitsilano neighbourhood.

Though as mentioned a nice downtown hotel via Priceline would work out fine. Odds are you'll want something to do during the day and downtown is where you'll find more to do.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,423 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels near UBC

Downtown Vancouver is close enough to UBC - the bus, once you include all the stops, will actually take less than 30 minutes. It's a 15 minute drive by car otherwise.

There are B&B's right by UBC, but no real hotels - the area's mostly residential with large mansions and beautiful homes and older apartments.

My recommendation, if you really want to be close to the transit lines, is to stay downtown at a hotel close to either Burrard Street (to catch the #44 bus) or Howe Street (to catch either the #4 or the #17). Options might include the Holiday Inn, the Sheraton Wall Centre, the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, the Four Seasons Hotel.

There's also the Holiday Inn on Broadway, which is across the bridge from downtown, but right on the main transit route to UBC (you'd take the #99 B-line bus from that Holiday Inn right to UBC). However, Broadway - while a main traffic artery - isn't as lively as being downtown.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,291 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels near UBC

You might consider staying at the YWCA Hotel, a highly rated and often fully booked hotel in Vancouver for reasonable accommodation. They offer a variety of room/bathroom options. It is very close to the #4 bus route.

http://ywcahotel.com/

I can't seem to find service for the #44 after 8 pm or for the #84 after 9 pm. These busses are geared for getting hoards of students to/from UBC for class. The #4 and #17 busses, however, are regular busses that operate into the night.

I agree with Robyn's suggestions for hotel location.

Alberta
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotels near UBC

Many thanks to all who replied.

Your information was very helpful.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,291 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotels near UBC

The #44 does not run on weekends.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,298 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotels near UBC

All university and college students are required to purchase a bus pass as part of their student fees. This means two things:

1. The university and college campuses are some of the best served destinations on the Metro Vancouver transit network. Good frequency of buses and trains, and direct routes from major transit centres.

2. The buses are always VERY full! Especially at the start of the day.

As part of your investigations, you may also consider a hotel that is on the Skytrain route, downtown or otherwise. You can connect with a UBC B-Line bus at the Commercial/Broadway skytrain station.

The transit system is all connected and you pay once for the entire trip, so your skytrain ticket will get you on the bus, provided you paid for the correct number of zones. For multiple trips, pick up a book of Faresaver tickets to save a couple of dollars.

www.translink.ca

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotels near UBC

One thing I did notice with the buses when I was there last week (ubc) was that they were less busy in the afternoon as I think the students mostly go there in the morning and come home in the afternoon. Depending on when you plan to visit you can work around the peak times.

Also try to make sure you take the 44 when it is running or transfer to the B-line on Broadway if the 44 does not fit your schedule, these are both express buses and skip a lot of the local stops.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
2,056 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotels near UBC

We stay on the UBC campus for long research periods, but sometimes need to find something nearby for a short stay. Pacific Spirit Guesthouse, 4080 West 35th Ave. (www.vanbb.com) is about 5 minutes from campus and has good reviews on TA. It was always full, though, for the days we needed. We have stayed at Vancouver Traveller B&B, 2159 W. 21st Ave., which is not as close as Pacific Spirit but nearby and easily accessed by bus. It is a modest, clean B&B with friendly, helpful owners. www.vancouvertravellerbb.com.

10. Re: hotels near UBC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2010, 02:18