We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct flights Vancouver to Mexico City

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Direct flights Vancouver to Mexico City

Should this be posted on the Mexico forums? Anyway, does Air Canada fly directly to Mexico City from Vancouver and back with no US stops? We used to use Mexicana but they're no longer an option, and I can't think of anything else. Help please!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,346 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Direct flights Vancouver to Mexico City

No Air Canada or anyone else flying direct YVR to Mex City. You can fly YVR to a resort place like Puerto Vallarta direct on Air Canada or you can take one of numerous charters direct from Vancouver to resort cities, but not Mex City.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,367 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Direct flights Vancouver to Mexico City

I'm sure someone from Vancouver has been recently!

But if you have no joy here, post on the Air Travel forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

If you do go try to avoid changing at LAX unless you have 3+ hours between planes.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Direct flights Vancouver to Mexico City

I agree, I do not think there is a current provider of direct service and I would avoid LAX for sure. I just connected there on a flight to Hawaii and we had to take a bus that drove around the runway for 15mins and then we walked through a terminal to a tunnel for another 15mins. Combined with getting lost and waiting for the bus it took a full hour to get to the next gate.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,180 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Direct flights Vancouver to Mexico City

You might have to look at going via Calgary or Toronto.. assume you don't want to enter US for some reason.. we connect through LAX down to Zihua with no problems using Alaska it's coming back that's a hassle ;)

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Direct flights Vancouver to Mexico City

We can fly to Puerto Vallarta directly from Vancouver. What a great idea. Why doesn't my travel agent think of these things?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,367 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Direct flights Vancouver to Mexico City

Air Canada seems to connect through Calgary Edmonton or Toronto, then non stop, so you could do a "Canadian' flight that way. Alaska Air will change planes in Canada.

Westjet does a non stop from Calgary to MEX.

I believe the crime/drug wars in Mexico have had a big effect on the number of Canadians going to Mexico. Some Canadians were killed. It had a chilling effect as no one wants to get caught in the cross fire. I can remember plenty of non stops not too long ago. I checked Christmas holiday dates and even then, there will be no non stops to MEX, Cabo, PV or Cancun.

david ~ don't get your hopes up about a non stop to PV. I've looked, no joy.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,180 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Direct flights Vancouver to Mexico City

Alaska Air flights will stop in the US either SEA or LAX.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,346 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Direct flights Vancouver to Mexico City

I plugged in a November date into Air Canada Vacations flight only and got a direct flight Van to Purto Vallarta Nov 13 on AC 1876

aircanadavacations.com/search/displayCustomR…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
335 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Direct flights Vancouver to Mexico City

I pesonally would avoid LA like a plague as a connecting hub. We had a connector in LA and quite a few flights came in at the same time. We had to grab our bags and re-check it in. The lineup to just get out of the arrival area was snaked around the whole complex. People were getting real antsy as they were running out of time to catch their connector. I had to explain to them that their connectors would be aware of the situation and would not leave w/o them. It was just utter chaos...

David,

When are you thinking of travelling?

Using some trial dates in Sept, Oct, and Dec, Westjet does fly direct to PV but only on Thursday and Saturday. If you decided to leave on Thurs/Sat and came back on Sat/Thurs, there are direct flights on Westjet. In that regards, you do not have to travel in 1 week blocks but you must travel on Sat and/or Thurs.

Plugging in Nov 13, A/C does fly direct but coming back on Nov. 20, it's one stop in SFO. The cost is $1034 vs. Wesjet (direct both ways on the same dates) for $636.

We're now heading into the Fall/Winter season when there should be an increase in travel to Sun destinations. Depending on demand, airlines may start adding flights to these destinations so there may be more options open to you in the future.

Hope this helps,

10. Re: Direct flights Vancouver to Mexico City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 01:54