We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boxing Day traffic to Seattle

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
197 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Boxing Day traffic to Seattle

Hi, I will be leaving Vancouver and heading towards Seattle on Boxing day. Will there be massive jam at the borders or will the BC residents stay in BC to do their boxing day sale?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,956 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boxing Day traffic to Seattle

Boxing Day is a British custom. I has been imported to Canada and may be to Singapore too but not in the US.

In the US the great sale day is Black Friday which was just last week. It is the day following US Thanksgiving

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,582 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boxing Day traffic to Seattle

But there may still be lots of traffic heading south just for shopping..it will be a Sunday and as many people here will be off on Monday the border may be busy. Really no way to tell for sure.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boxing Day traffic to Seattle

If you listen to AM730 traffic reports, they will give you an idea of how bad the border is for crossing. The earlier you leave, the better chance you have of not having a huge lineup. I crossed the border on the Black Friday sales day, and it took me all of 10 minutes to get through.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boxing Day traffic to Seattle

As stated in the second post, border wait times are really difficult to predict. However, hazarding a guess, I would anticipate that the border will be very, very busy on Boxing Day. While it is true that the big US sales are found on Black Friday, Canadian shoppers will expect price drops after Christmas and head down to scout for bargains. Stores in Whatcom county, immediately south of the border, rely siginficantly on their Canadian customers. They may, or may not, characterize their post-Christmas sales as "Boxing Day sales". However, they understand that, for their "north-of-the-border" customers, Boxing Day is a big sale day and will likely advertise/discount accordingly. As suggested in the previous post, you should try to get down there really, really early. You may be pleasantly surprised. However, you may also find waits of 2 hours as the day progresses.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,901 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boxing Day traffic to Seattle

here is a link to historical crossing times. It may be on the US side but from Canada it would be Peace Arch or Pacific crossing vs Blaine or truck customs

…wa.gov/Congestion/…SBi5

6. Re: Boxing Day traffic to Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2011, 00:18