We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help! 6 nights for Vancouver and Whistler

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Please help! 6 nights for Vancouver and Whistler

Thanks for reading. We are a married couple in our late 20's going to Vancouver at the end of Jan for 6 nights. We arrive around 1pm on our first day and have 6 nights. The flight is booked but no hotels, car, etc. We were thinking of doing whistler 3 nights and then downtown vancouver 3 nights. Should we do a night in Vancouver then whistler then Vancouver? Or Vancouver first? We were thinking we'd unwind after the skiing. Should we do 4nights and 2 nights??

We are looking to ski, eat great food, walk around vancouver and experience the city, possibly go to one museum, good bars and breweries.

Thanks!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help! 6 nights for Vancouver and Whistler

You could go straight to Whistler by coach from YVR. It takes about 3-3.5 hours. Pacific Coach Lines is the service:

www.pacificcoach.com

I'd stay there 4 nights, if skiing is your priority, which would give you 3 full days on the slopes.

Then come down to Vancouver for 2 nights. If you wanted more balance with the city, switch to 3 and 3. There's lots to do in Vancouver. It's really a personal preference for you between skiing and city.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help! 6 nights for Vancouver and Whistler

Thanks so much for responding...Would the best places to stay be whistler village and downtown vancouver?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,581 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help! 6 nights for Vancouver and Whistler

Yes, Whistler Village (anywhere in there - including the areas known as Upper Village and Village North. A bit further out, but all pretty compact area.) and downtown.

I think its worth noting that there's some decent skiing in Vancouver and those hills offer you something Whistler doesn't - night skiing. Personally, I think skiing under the lights with the city twinkling below is a pretty neat experience. And you can sightsee during the day, and head up to the mountain in the late afternoon to do some runs and have dinner/drinks. The evening passes start around 3 pm I believe and I think they are open for skiing until 11 pm.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,445 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help! 6 nights for Vancouver and Whistler

I'd stay in downtown Vancouver upon arrival simply because a long bus ride after a long flight is no way to get started. The hotels will be driven by price. You can't go wrong with Fairmonts in Vanc or Whistler, but you'll pay for the luxury. Consider the suggested night skiing or outdoor ice skating and maybe combine it with the pub or restaurant up Grouse mountain. You'll get better answers as you firm your plans and have specific questions.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help! 6 nights for Vancouver and Whistler

I would tend to push through to Whistler. By the time you arrive, get through the Border Services requirements and pick up your luggage, it will likely be 2:00 PM - 2:30PM., or 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM for your body clocks (having come all the way from the east coast). It will still be getting dark early in late January. Might as well lose the full day to transportation and then have 2 - 3 full days in Whistler skiing (depending upon your preference). If the sun is shining, you will enjoy the morning trip back down along Howe Sound to Vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help! 6 nights for Vancouver and Whistler

Sunset mid January will be 4:42, end January will be 5:07.

My vote would be to hop into the coach and make it a full travel day with an arrival time in Whistler close to 9 pm your time.

What are you looking for in a hotel in Vancouver? style? star class? Would something like the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square suit you? If so, have a look at the St. Regis, includes full hot breakfast.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154943-d156565…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help! 6 nights for Vancouver and Whistler

Whistler is a resort town - if you are avid skiers, it has the facilities and amenities to make an enjoyable skiing holiday. However like most resort towns, be prepared to spend $$$.

Grouse Mountain is a local ski hill (http://www.grousemountain.com/location-hours) that may better suited if you only ski for leisure. And this is not just a little bunny hill either. There's a restaurant and a gift shop, but no accommodations. You spend half the day in downtown Vancouver and the other half on Grouse - the best of both worlds.

You enjoy good food? Consider the uniqueness of Vancouver - we believe that we outclass anywhere else in the most authentic asian food outside of Asia. We have outstanding South Asian (East Indian), Chinese, Malaysian/ Indonesian, and Japanese restaurants. If you are adventurous, try them for dinner. If not as much, try them for lunch. Let the waiters recommend dishes for you - just don't choose anything that you get in food courts like chop suey and lemon chicken (gag). Also go for a tour/meal at a micro brewery.

Unfortunately the BC Museum is in Victoria - a 1 day trip in itself.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,581 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help! 6 nights for Vancouver and Whistler

I thought I would clarify that I didn't intend for you to skip Whistler, just that you might also want to do one night of skiing while staying in Vancouver.

Holland
Level Contributor
567 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help! 6 nights for Vancouver and Whistler

I would suggest heading up to Whistler straight away for 3 or 4 nights. You are travelling anyway so getting on the bus towards Whistler isn't much more effort. By the time you get there you will be tired, check into your room, have a drink and dinner and go to sleep, next day you will be ready to hit the slopes.

Opting for staying 1 night in Vancouver will cost you more time in the end. You might be tired coming of the plane, check in to your room and don't feel like going into the city and "waste" your afternoon. Next day you need to check out and travel again, check-in your hotel, pick up your ski's and by the time you are on the slopes it is time to lunch or later. Another half day "wasted".

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help! 6 nights for Vancouver and Whistler

Thanks these are all great responses, we are going to whistler for 3 nights first and then vancouver and are staying downtown at coal harbour hotel...planning on checking out granville island and walking the area including chinatown...we are excited to eat our way through vancouver