We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

about this area of town

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
about this area of town

Hi

I am considering staying in downtown Vancouver around West End. Is this a pleasant place to stay..is that West Vancouver area.thinking of a self cont, up Robson St near Stanley Park for a couple of nights before a cruise leaving for the inside strait at the port downtown. I used the little man on google maps and it seemed a nice leafy area and also got good reviews for a couple of places on TA there.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 00:42
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,778 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: about this area of town

The West End is not West Vancouver-as any decent map can show you.

Yes it's pleasant but a tad busy-as is all of downtown in season-some outstanding & unique restaurants in the area..

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: about this area of town

Yes, the West End is a wonderful place to stay. It's a high density residential area situated between the beach, the seawall, Stanley Park and the downtown city centre. It's an established community - lots of restaurants, grocery stores, interesting places to walk around and explore - and totally safe. You'll love it.

And just to further clarify above, the West End is the western end of downtown Vancouver... it's a neighbourhood within the city of Vancouver.

West Vancouver is a separate city from Vancouver, about a 15 minute drive north-west of downtown Vancouver on the other side of Burrard Inlet.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,849 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: about this area of town

Have a look at the Times Square Suites at the corner of Denman and Robson. There is bus access aplenty nearby if needed. The area of the West End that is west of Denman is a gem. Little through traffic, very little noise, green green green.

And I just know Frommy will be along to endorse that suggestion.

And then we have the west side of Vancouver, which is a fairly large part of the city bordering UBC. We like to mix it up!!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,571 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: about this area of town

You rang, Mufti? I was busy posting this on the Alberta forum where the question inadvertently first appeared:

"For your accommodation in Vancouver you mention West Vancouver, Robson Street. Are you talking about after the Rockies trip or when back from VI?

I can very highly recommend Times Square Suites on Robson, near corner of Denman, as a great place to stay, lovely self contained apartments which even have a washer/dryer in the apartment. Great for getting the clothes clean for the cruise, but they may have a minimum stay requirement if it would be when you are in Vancouver before VI. There are some really good very small restaurants offering dishes from numerous nations along Denman. Very handy to Stanley Park.

www.timessquaresuites.com/content/default.asp

When we were there in 2008 about half of the Ozzie Tri team was staying there for the World Championships."

Decatur, GA
Level Contributor
249 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: about this area of town

another vote for Times Square Suites! we stayed there back in October and loved it! the staff was very attentive and helpful and we got a great deal from their website on a one bedroom suite.

the West End neighborhood was perfect for our stay. a grocery store right across the street and TONS of great places to eat.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
578 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: about this area of town

West End is great. Close to all the attractions and easy access to public transit as well as excellent restaurants all around.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: about this area of town

Thanks guys

I was looking at these suites awhile back and I was concerned about being above restaurants in a busy area. We are light sleepers, tend to spend the whole day out and cook in most times in self cont. So sleep is needed. Early risers usually also.

I like the look of the 1 bedroom or even the studio if it has a large bed although like a room away from the TV area to sleep hence the 1 bedroom.

How was the sleeping situation or are there any units at the back of the property away from the street?

What I do like the most is it has washing facilities in the unit, a must for us.

I have looked around the area of West Enf for self cont and came across one down in the leafy area...but no washing facilities listed even in a laundry area free for guests.

Thanks

Niec

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,571 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: about this area of town

My wife is also a light sleeper and we did not hear a thing. We had a one bedroom suite but were not on the street side though. Don't worry about the restaurants. These are not your 4/500 seat glitzy things - they are more like mom and pop 30/40 seat arrangements offering cuisines from many nations. Be careful with some African cuisines though. It took a few days for my tongue to recovery from some of the extra hot spices.

Oh, look what I found! Here is a list of restaurants on Denman St. Wow, I did not think there where that many.

…blogspot.com/2006/09/restaurants-to-z.html

If you book Times Square ask for a room at the rear if you are concerned. They also have a very good BBQ set-up on the roof patio. Not much by way of a view as this is certainly not a high-rise building, but a very relaxing area.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: about this area of town

WOW thanks again Frommy...sounds like Times Square is the go then. Put my mind at rest! I will def see if we can get a back unit then. Will look at the restaurants later...hubby is out mowing at the mo and I am sure going to be in trouble if I don't get off the net soon!

Will mark that down!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,778 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: about this area of town

Note that the list as linked is some 4 years old now and turnover on that street is high-always somewhere interesting to eat though-ditto Robson & Davie Streets.

http://www.ayoubs.ca/