We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to book with a tour company to visit the Rockies?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
500 posts
107 reviews
Do I need to book with a tour company to visit the Rockies?

My wife and I are generally DIY travellers. But to visit the Rockies, starting in Vancouver, what are TAs opinions about whether to book through the likes of Scenic or APT, and leave all in their hands, or can we see all that we should see by planning the individual elements ourselves? That is, we would do all rail and accommodation bookings, make local tour bookings, etc.

There is some likelihood that we would be a party of 4.

Many thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
500 posts
107 reviews
11. Re: Do I need to book with a tour company to visit the Rockies?

Thanks everyone for these ideas. I am sure to be back on one or several of the BC forums with further queries.

FYI: we are in the 60+ category (Baby boomers), and generally try to avoid travelling with the herd.

All the best.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,398 posts
78 reviews
12. Re: Do I need to book with a tour company to visit the Rockies?

G'day Ericbloke,

I am in your age group and strongly in the self drive camp on the questions you raise, particularly now that you have mentioned that you don't want to be among the sheep. That was even though I had only ever driven here in Oz before. There is so much more freedom. I also believe that the Rocky Mountaineer is a well overpriced luxury (you could do a seven day cruise to Alaska for about the same money) and is not the best way to experience BC, and certainly not the Rockies.

You have already been given some very good suggestions, so I will not add to them at this stage, if at all, so that you can consider the options presented. The biggest problem with self-planning is the decision making one. For example, there are several good options on a driving route from Vancouver to Banff or Jasper, and you have to let some options go in favour of others.

I also just thought that I would pop in so I could substitute 'bloke' for 'guy'. :)))))

13. Re: Do I need to book with a tour company to visit the Rockies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 15:15