We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sylvia hotel in Vancouver, is it dumpy?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Sylvia hotel in Vancouver, is it dumpy?

I am reading all the reviews and I hear people say things like, the location is amazing but the place is worn out. Some people from past years have said it's an outright dump. I'm just wondering, do you think the people who are so in love with this hotel love it for the location and are downplaying the accommodations? I don't mind old, but I don't want dumpy. Someone within the last few weeks described the furnishings as "worn out" which makes me nervous. I saw a couple of travelers pics from the reviews section that showed holes in the walls and carpet. Just a little hesitant since we have a reservation there in May. Any thoughts?

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sylvia hotel in Vancouver, is it dumpy?

They re -did the place a few years ago, and a dump it is not

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sylvia hotel in Vancouver, is it dumpy?

I think some of the rooms in the older section may still have "older" furniture but the hotel is definitely not a dump. It's got a lot of character, the location is awesome, the cocktail lounge is always a great pit stop. Relatives always stay here when in town..rooms range from huge to smallish... it's not a cookie cutter hotel like a purpose built Hilton as it was once apartments.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sylvia hotel in Vancouver, is it dumpy?

Personally if you are having misgivings now I would recommend you choose another hotel. If you prove yourself right it will ruin your holiday. If not, you'll worry yourself sick beforehand.

We like the Sylvia building and location but unfortunately have never been able to stay as it has been full everytime we've tried to stay in the past several years.

Prince George...
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sylvia hotel in Vancouver, is it dumpy?

It is absolutely not a dump. And it is often full for good reason.

We stay at the Sylvia at least once a year, and it's the only hotel we will stay in. Every time we have stayed there we have had a different room, and that's one of the reasons it has so much character. Most of the rooms, if not all, have been upgraded.

And the staff there always seem to remember many of their guests.

Of course its location is fantastic. Just park the car and there is so much to see within walking distance.

And if you can, ask for a room on the water side, or at least a corner suite.

Edited: 03 April 2012, 22:06
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,149 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sylvia hotel in Vancouver, is it dumpy?

The Sylvia is a Grand Dame. It was built in 1912 and is of the same era as the homes clustered in Heritage Square in Phoenix, but a little less "rich". The inner space and layout would be very similar as the basic structure will not be much different these days, in spite of any renovations the hotel might make. However, the Sylvia is not for everyone. It is a vintage hotel, so I would agree with Dave, if you are having second thoughts, act on them now.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sylvia hotel in Vancouver, is it dumpy?

Thank you so much for all of the responses, I appreciate it! I am a fan of vintage, I just like things to function well and be in good repair. I am leaning toward keeping the reservation because I do think the location is wonderful for our purposes, we will have an 18 month old with us so proximity to parks and beach are a huge plus. My hesitation is also the price, $245 a night for a corner bay view room,, it's about $1700 for a week, so I want it to be great! If I could get an apartment in the same area for less I would probably take it but I haven't found a good one so far. I like the idea of being in a more residential area and then walking in to the action rather than staying in it. I felt fortunate to get a room because I know it does book out sometimes 6 months in advance. Lots to think about, thank You all!

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sylvia hotel in Vancouver, is it dumpy?

Anyone know if there is a decent natural grocery store nearby the Sylvia?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sylvia hotel in Vancouver, is it dumpy?

The nearest is a Whole Foods on Robson.

http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/robson/

Some locals may still refer to it as Capers, the small chain that Whole Foods bought a few years ago and may still have Capers as their signage. It's still about 8 blocks away though.

The nearest big grocery store is Safeway on Davie Street. It's OK. I 'm not a huge fan of Safeway. There is also a larger Safeway at Robson and Denman.

Denman street has a small corner grocer and a butcher.

Much further up Davie Street is Choices Market at Richards Street. They have a mix of organic and regular foods. However it might be a little to out of the way. It's in Yaletown, so if you are in that neighbourhood you could check it out.

What sort of foods are you looking for?

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sylvia hotel in Vancouver, is it dumpy?

Thank you. We were hoping to eat breakfast and light dinners in the apartment, so just the basics but mostly organic, milk, cheese, fruits and veggies. We will also have a toddler with us so fresh fruit, baby food and snacks for her. Whole foods will do, I guess we'll just make a little trip out of it. I always like to walk the town a little to get a lay of the land anyway! I also loathe safeway, ick. I have one a block from my house yet I drive to another store several miles away!

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sylvia hotel in Vancouver, is it dumpy?

The Safeway, just up Davie Street, and a bit closer than Whole Foods, should have organic milk and some organic produce. And possibly organic cheese. Seems the selection of organics differs by store location.