We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days with car, round trip from Vancouver

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
13 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
10 days with car, round trip from Vancouver

After a few days in Vancouver we will pick up a hire car (4x4) on September 9th 2012 and have 10/11 days for a road trip before having to be back in Vancouver for the flight home evening of the 19th.

I am in the early stages of planning the trip, and have read various threads here. At the moment a provisional idea is this trip:

Vancouver - Kowlona

Kowlona - Banff/Lake Louise

Banff/Lake Louise - Jasper

Jasper - Prince George

Prince George - Vancouver (via highway 97)

Any advice would be appreciated - we enjoy driving but don't want to be driving all the time, so is this too ambitious? Are all the stops good ones - is it worth extending up to Prince George or should we make a more direct return from Jasper to Vancouver, but take the whole round trip at a more leisurely pace with longer at each stop?

We want to do this is a bit of comfort and don't mind spending on good hotels, so if there are specific tips for all the stops apart from Vancouver (already booked) happy to hear about those too.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 10 days with car, round trip from Vancouver

yes the round trip was good and you will manage it with ease , and yes the gypsy guide is not a sat nav but is a great tool to use, i hired a sat nav from uk before we left and did a great job never got lost once , wish I was going back this year

have a great time

Edited: 13 April 2012, 08:47
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,277 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 10 days with car, round trip from Vancouver

Scotsman ~

There are many ways to "do" the Rockies, of course. It all depends on what kind of driving/sightseeing trip you are hoping for. To drive Vancouver to Jasper means about 800 km and 9.5 hours driving, stops extra. To drive from Banff to Vancouver means about 850 km and about 10.5 hours driving, stops extra.

Edinburghfolks did more of what I would call a road trip. With 10 days dedicated to time outside Vancouver, you will have time to spend a few nights in several places and get a feel for them. Also, you will have time to walk some walks and trails, if that is of interest to you. I think you need to work on your attractions, sightseeing, 'things to see and do' that matter to you and then work on tweaking your itinerary. It sounds as though you are ready to do some research.

It would be good if you now let us know your interests: hiking, history, museums, kayaking, pure sightseeing, biking?

Please have a look at the Things to Do (left sidebar) on the Banff Forum, Jasper Forum and perhaps even the Canadian Rockies Forum.

www.hellobc.com

www.icefieldsparkway.ca

pc.gc.ca/eng/…visit38.aspx ...... see the link below the map for the PDF.

http://www.canadianrockies.net/

trailpeak.com/trail-Myra-Canyon-KVR-near-Kel… .... ex Kelowna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEe9d69NpyM ..... The Spiral Tunnels near Field.

The GyPSy Guide is reviewed extensively on the Banff Forum:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154911-d1…

Edited: 13 April 2012, 10:55
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,072 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 10 days with car, round trip from Vancouver

I guess it all depends on whether or not you are happy just seeing the sights out of your windshield. I can promise you that the poster who did it in five days missed more than he saw, but he was content and that's what matters. Yes, you can certainly do the driving in that time, but it depends on whether or not it matters to you to actually stop and get to know a place and experience it while you are there.

The itinerary I offered you allows you to spend a day or two touring around each of Banff and Jasper. Given the unpredictability of the weather, its good idea to leave some room in your schedule to be flexible.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,515 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 10 days with car, round trip from Vancouver

hi

if you are interested in a road trip (of which I am a fan) with 1 nite wherever you get to that day this is a circular route that will do that. http://g.co/maps/22qgy

this one averages 240 km per day so some room in there to stay a couple of nights in the same location. My theory is that hotels/motels are rarely always full so there is more often than not, a room at some Inn especially if you show up at 5-6pm.

typical day drive - you can do Vancouver to Osoyoos in about 6-8 hrs including stops with (only) 450 km. traveled.

Scotland
Level Contributor
13 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 10 days with car, round trip from Vancouver

Many thanks again for the thoughtful responses everyone. We are not fantastically 'outdoorsy' in terms of kayaking or rock climbing, but do like to walk. Driving for us is part of the fun, however our days of serious road trips with one-night stops and being on the move *every* day are past, so this will undoubtedly end up as 3 or 4 drives, staying for 3 nights or so at each stop. Off to check out more of the links and itineraries, with thanks again for your input.

16. Re: 10 days with car, round trip from Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 16:42