We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Week Itinerary Seattle/Vancouver

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
One Week Itinerary Seattle/Vancouver

Hi - Traveling with a friend and we are both in our late 20's. Flying into Seattle on Sat, May 28th, renting a car, and flying out of Seattle one week later on Saturday, June 2nd. Planning to drive to Vancouver. Would love to hear some suggested itineraries for how to spend the week, day by day. Wondering what the best/most scenic driving/ferry routes are, and what we can realistically do in a week. Should we go to Victoria? If so, should we stay overnight or make it a day trip?

Thanks!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,175 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Week Itinerary Seattle/Vancouver

first advice ditch the car...second what are your interests? Do you want to spend some time in Seattle or are you just flying in there because of better fares? more info means better advice.

Train Amtrak to Vancouver is scenic and much easier than driving. Vancouver is very compact walkable, good transit ..rent a car here for one day for a day trip to Whistler for more scenery.

After time in Vancouver take Pacific Coach Lines/ BC ferries to Victoria..spend a day and night then take Clipper ( walk on ferry) from downtown Victoria to downtown Seattle..

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,284 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Week Itinerary Seattle/Vancouver

+1 for ditching the car. You just don't need it for Vancouver, Victoria or Seattle, or getting between the three. Save yourselves the irritation of traffic and the expense of parking.

Here's an article from the Seattle Forum dealing with getting from Seattle to Van and Seattle to Vic:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-c2598/Seattle:…

I would say 3 nights Vancouver and 2 Victoria would do it. That would give you 2 nights Seattle. It will take 4 hours on Amtrak Cascades from Seattle to Van. And 4 hours between Van and Vic on Pacific Coach Lines. The Clipper takes about 3 hours between Vic and Sea. This info will help you plan your travel days.

The forums contain good info. On each and every forum you will find Top Questions, to the upper right of the page, with info about the most commonly asked questions. The Things to Do button, in the left sidebar, provides tabs for Attractions and Tours.

www.amtrak.com

www.pacificcoach.com

http://www.clippervacations.com/

Here are some highlights here in Vancouver that I like to post for questions such as yours. They are arranged geographically for grouping your choices:

VANCOUVER DOWNTOWN:

Stanley Park, including the Aquarium

Gastown - for a self guided walking tour: http://www.gastown.org/history/index.html --> take a self guided walking tour. Otherwise this historic birthplace of Vancouver will just be brick and stone to you.

Chinatown

Robson Street

Bill Reid Gallery at 639 Hornby St. between Dunsmuir and Georgia

Vancouver Art Gallery, with its great Gallery Café

The Marine Building at 355 Burrard St. for the exterior, facade, entrance, foyer and the inside of the brass-doored elevators. Notice the marine and ship themes. Office hours only.

NORTH SHORE:

Grouse Mountain

Lynn Canyon Susp Bridge (free)

Capilano Susp Bridge ($$$)

SOUTH SIDE OF FALSE CREEK

Granville Island and False Creek

Maritime Museum - www.vancouvermaritimemuseum.com/page216.htm

Van Dusen Gardens

Queen Elizabeth Park and the Bloedel Conservatory

4 Self Guided walks - vancouver.ca/commsvcs/…index.htm

Museum of Anthropology at UBC

Nitobe Memorial Gardens at UBC - http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/nitobe

Greenheart Canopy Walkway at UBC Botanical Gardens –

www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/canopy-walkway

OUTLYING REGIONS:

Gulf of Georgia Cannery Museum www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/bc/georgia/index.aspx

Steveston Village

infovancouver.com/things-to-see-and-do/great…

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g181716-d18…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,284 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Week Itinerary Seattle/Vancouver

Highlights for Victoria:

VICTORIA DOWNTOWN:

Inner Harbour Causeway

Victoria harbour ferry ride, http://victoriaharbourferry.com/

Butchart Gardens – ~2 hours - www.butchartgardens.com/index.php…

Royal BC Museum – ~2 hours, royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Exhibit_Gall/default.aspx

Craigdarroch Castle

Helmcken House

Emily Carr House

Miniature World

The Victoria Bug Zoo http://www.bugzoo.bc.ca/

Abkhazi Gardens - …conservancy.bc.ca/properties/…

4 self guided heritage walks http://www.victoria.ca/visitors/wlkngt.shtml

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,213 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Week Itinerary Seattle/Vancouver

I also agree that the car will be more of a burden than a benefit. Most people severely miscalculate the time you'll spend crossing the border, especially coming and going on a weekend. I may be contrary but Victoria is a very sleepy town with the gardens being one of the highlights and I'm not sure a few 20 somethings would find it exciting if gardens arent' your things. Vancouver with tons of outdoor stuff plus all the music clubs and Whistler, Grouse Mountain and other worthwhile things would seem to be better suited for your age range.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,297 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Week Itinerary Seattle/Vancouver

I like your line of thinking David and agree with you there. The only real advantage of going through Victoria is that the ferries make for a lovely scenic trip, so its more the journey than the destination. It all depends on what you like.

Now, you sound like you want to make a bit of a road trip out of this, so are you looking to see the countryside between the places and tour around, or are you really just looking at basing yourselves in the cities and seeing those? Advice is very valid if the cities are your primary destinations, but if they really are just stopping points and you are looking for more of a tour, then a car will be needed.

Places to consider if you are looking at making a driving tour out of this trip would be Whitby Island (WA) Mt. Baker (WA), Hope and/or Harrison Hot Springs (BC) and Whistler (BC).

Please provide some more info as to what you are looking for and I'm sure you'll get more precise answers.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Week Itinerary Seattle/Vancouver

Thanks for all the advice. I'm not sure it makes sense financially to ditch the car, though. I have a rental car reserved for $300 for the entire week. An amtrak ticket from Seattle to Vancouver costs $40 (x2 people = $80). The Clipper from Victoria to Seattle costs about $100 (x2 people = $200). If we rent a car in Vancouver to go to Whistler for the the day, that's more money. Is parking a hassle in Seattle and Vancouver? I suppose if I have to pay a lot for parking, it may make sense to ditch the car. Any advice on that would be helpful.

We're looking for a nice balance of city and scenery. Here's what I'm thinking, please let me know your thoughts:

Sat, May 26 - Arrive in Seattle at 10:30 AM

Sun, May 27 - Seattle

Mon, May 28 - Travel to Vancouver

Tues, May 29 - Vancouver

Wed, May 30 - Day Trip to Victoria (sleep in Vancouver)

Thurs, May 31 - Day Trip to Whistler (sleep in Vancouver)

Fri, June 1 - Travel to Seattle

Sat, June 2 - Depart Seattle

Any advice on scenic things to see and do in and around Seattle? Or on our way to and from Seattle/Vancouver?

What is the best area to stay in Vancouver?

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,284 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Week Itinerary Seattle/Vancouver

Things are starting to take shape.

May 28, travel by Amtrak Cascades, good idea.

Going to Victoria for a day trip would be a long day. 4 hours one way by coach or car and ferry. You could look into Landsea Tours which takes you to Vic for the morning, then takes you to Butchart Gardens for 2 hours before returning to Vancouver.

http://www.vancouvertours.com/

But I think you should look into considering changing your Whistler day to May 30, then go to Victoria on May 31 for one night and to visit. Then look into taking the Victoria Clipper on June 1 from Victoria to downtown Seattle - a 3 hour pax only catamaran. That would save you about 4 hours of unnecessary travel back to Vancouver.

www.clippervacations.com

A day trip to Whistler would work very well. You could take PCL or even Greyhound up, spend 3-4 hours then return on a later coach. Very nice trip, about 2.5-3 hours one way.

www.pacificcoach.com

www.greyhound.ca

The best area to stay in Vancouver is downtown, which is walkable. Parking is a hassle and expensive at meters and lots/parkades. Up to $40 a night in some hotels. Try Times Square Suites ($15 a night still?) or Sunset Inn and Suites (parking included) Anywhere in this part of town:

http://g.co/maps/r58er

For Seattle advice, it's probably best to post on the Seattle Forum to attract the advice of the good local posters there.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Week Itinerary Seattle/Vancouver

What is there to do in Whistler in early June? My understanding is that it's a good place for skiing. Is it work going to in June?

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Week Itinerary Seattle/Vancouver

If you're into doing activities, we went zip lining there and it was pretty awesome :) There is also Monkido, which is an aerial obstacle course. If you're in good shape the monkido shouldn't take you too long.. it took me.. umm awhile :P, but it also depends what your budget is..

If you're heading up towards whistler and you're into hiking and views, you can always try to hike up the chief, even just up the first peak the view is spectacular. I am not very fit, but it took me about two hours to hike up. Just make sure to bring lots of water and it's free. There is the Grouse Grind as well, but you have to pay to take the gondola back down which is about, I think 10.00CDN... Personally I liked the Chief better :)

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,213 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Week Itinerary Seattle/Vancouver

Whistler is a fun city and actually gets as many or more visitors in summer than in winter. One of the very best things to do in my opinion is the Peak 2 Peak Gondola ride. Its very ncie and you'll spend about two or more hrs doing it. Great to eat lunch at the very top and enjoy the view.