We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car issues in Bc crossing border travelling to Oregon

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car issues in Bc crossing border travelling to Oregon

We are trying to rent a car from BC to drive to Oregon, then Calgary and back to BC.

Our problem is that there are all kinds of extra costs due to our cross border driving to Oregon because it is not an adjacent state to British columbia.

I have never heard this in my life and have travelled the world. There want to give us limited mileage if we go to Oregon, apparently transponders know where you go....or add and extra fee per day, and some of the prices are exorbitant. We are in our 60 and cannot believe that you can't drive to Oregon from BC with a rental car without these fees. Does anyone know why. We have called Thrifty, Dollar and they all see to be in LALA land and they don't even know their nose from their feet. Does anyone know of a company with reasonable rate that does not do this. Alamo is double the cost of other companies and so is Avis without the rules. I you now anything about that, please let let me know

Regards

Nicole

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,217 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car issues in Bc crossing border travelling to Oregon

You might consider posting this on the Road Trip forum where there are more volunteers focussed on this issues like this.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trip…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car issues in Bc crossing border travelling to Oregon

Thank you

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,126 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car issues in Bc crossing border travelling to Oregon

>> Does anyone know of a company with reasonable rate that does not do

this.

Hertz, Avis. You keep looking at those 2nd or 3rd tier companies, you get 2nd and 3rd tier service.

"Reasonable" is subjective. I try to only rent from Hertz, Avis because they offer the best service for reasonable rates.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,340 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car issues in Bc crossing border travelling to Oregon

It is not uncommon for car rental companies to drop the unlimited km from the agreement and switch to per mile charges when leaving the province. If they're all doing it, then it's industry wide. You might find out the reason for the non-adjacent state question on the Road Trip forum, as Dave has mentioned.

Posting your question on 3 forums seems a bit overkill. The same group of people hang out here. Sam would very likely have responded here anyway. He probably just saw your BC forum question first.

If you find that the rule is the rule, you could take Amtrak Cascades down to Seattle and rent an American car from there for that leg of your travels. It's a nice journey, 4 hours, scenic and easy across the border, a car doesn't always get that easy across the border opportunity.

You might also seek out RescueTeam who is on many forums. Send a PM if necessary as he seems to know quite a bit about cross border car rentals. If he doesn't see this question, which is very likely he will, find the "send message" button down the left side of this page, and send him a PM with your question.

www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/RescueTeam

Hope you find the answer you need.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,340 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car issues in Bc crossing border travelling to Oregon

When you run three forums, the responses get fractured and we simply aren't able to keep up with what you are being told. For another time, it would be to your benefit to keep that in mind.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car issues in Bc crossing border travelling to Oregon

No problem. I am just frustrated as we opted to go to Europe this year to go back to BC and visit Oregon and now the car rental is going to be triple the cost only because we are going to Oregon. Thank you for your reply

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car issues in Bc crossing border travelling to Oregon

I did not realize that I had posted on three forums I am very familiar with forums. I tried to post it on the Road trip forum but I guess it went in the wrong place. I will try your link

Thanks again

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,340 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car issues in Bc crossing border travelling to Oregon

RT's on your time, Ontario. In the meantime, do post as well on the Road Trip Forum. The link is in post #1.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car issues in Bc crossing border travelling to Oregon

Bibimbob is right.

Try Avis.

Last time we rented out of YVR (FEB), we specifically asked about driving into the US and any fees. We were told that there were no fees and we were free to drive across the border--no notation on the contract, daily fees or other such stuff as other companies were imposing. And no limit as to only WA state.

The rates have been decent out of YVR, cheap even at certain times. The Aeroplan codes have been giving good discounts (and bonus miles) as well. Or try Costco.ca Avis codes if you are member.

You can call the YVR Avis outlet to verify: 604-606-2847

If I recall correctly, Hertz had the same policies.

Edited: 21 May 2012, 22:55
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,049 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Car issues in Bc crossing border travelling to Oregon

have you considered renting the car in Bellingham WA or Seattle? Quickshuttle will get you to Bellingham airport really cheaply and you'd avoid the mileage charges, or simply take the train to Oregon?

Edited: 22 May 2012, 01:33