We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation between Tsawwassen ferry terminal and YVR

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beijing
Level Contributor
339 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
transportation between Tsawwassen ferry terminal and YVR

Is it easy to catch a taxi from the Tsawwassen ferry terminal to the Vancouver international airport? And now much it would cost?

Alternatively, is there any shuttle service between Tsawwassen ferry terminal and YVR?

thanks,

Lily

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,289 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation between Tsawwassen ferry terminal and YVR

Hi Lily ~

According to taxime.ca, a taxi would cost about $75 and would take about 30 minutes.

You could take the #620 Bridgeport Station bus from the passenger drop off zone outside the ferry ticket office to Bridgeport Station and transfer to the Canada Line to YVR. That would take about an hour on one ticket and would cost $2.50 exact fare in coins.

Are you going to be getting off the Swartz Bay - Tsawwassen ferry? On some ferries, there will be a Pacific Coach Lines coach. If there is one on your ferry (departs every 2 hours on the odd hour ferry from Swartz) you could buy a ticket from the driver at the bus driver's counter within 30 minutes of sailing. As you approach Tsawwassen ferry terminal, you would go down to the car deck to board the bus and be driven to YVR. About 30-35 minutes.

www.pacificcoach.com

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,289 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation between Tsawwassen ferry terminal and YVR

I just read your Victoria airport to Swartz question so you are boarding the ferry as a foot passenger.

If you are considering the PCL coach option, below are the ferry departures that would find a coach on board. You would need to keep your luggage with you until you board the coach on the car deck. But it is very common for people to leave their luggage holding seats in the lounges while they go off to the cafeteria for a meal. Just to let you know that people do that. The bus driver is available to sell tickets on board for the first 30 minutes only.

pacificcoach.com/Bus-Coach-Travel/YVR-Victor…

Beijing
Level Contributor
339 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation between Tsawwassen ferry terminal and YVR

Thanks much for the prompt reply and kind help!

Yes, we would get off the Bay - Tsawwassen ferry and then head to the YVR. Since we will have two big luggage, the bus option won't for us this time. But good to know and thanks!

We are two adults and one 11 year old kid, seems the coach fare is almost the same with the taxi fare. But is there enough taxi at the Tsawwassen ferry terminal even around 7 pm?

thanks again,

Lily

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,289 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation between Tsawwassen ferry terminal and YVR

There will be a few taxis at the terminal, but I would guess not many. The terminal is in an isolated location for taxis to be happy to wait there for maybe nothing. People would likely take the public transit bus #620 into Bridgeport Station.

There is a long walk at Tsawwassen from the ferry to the passenger pick up area. Yes the PCL option would cost about the same, but you would board it on the ferry and you load the luggage under the bus for convenience. It will drop you right outside the door you need to enter the correct YVR terminal.

Here is a look at the Tsawwassen ferry terminal. You will see the walkway from the ferry to the Y shaped ticket office. It's probably about a 5 min walk with luggage.

http://goo.gl/maps/wXbD

What day of the week in what month are you doing this? PCL gets busy on certain days.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,289 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation between Tsawwassen ferry terminal and YVR

You need to fly from Victoria YYJ to Vancouver YVR as I mentioned on your other thread.

Beijing
Level Contributor
339 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation between Tsawwassen ferry terminal and YVR

I see and many thanks for the kind help! Now that I understand that the coach option is actually more convenient than a taxi!

My exact travel date is July 28, do you think that I need to reserve seats for that period?

Another concern is that we want to enjoy the view during the ferry. So are we able to catch view on the ferry even on board the bus? And is the day light still good enough for scenic viewing around 5-6 pm in end July?

thanks again,

Lily

Beijing
Level Contributor
339 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation between Tsawwassen ferry terminal and YVR

my original plan is to fly in victoria from YVR since we will be arriving at YVR around 5pm the other day. And then we take the ferry back to vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,289 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation between Tsawwassen ferry terminal and YVR

Hi lily ~

July 28 is a Saturday, a good day to take PCL. You don't reserve seats on PCL. You just buy them from the driver on the ferry, it's all good. PCL coaches only take the ferries on the odd hours. 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm. So make sure you get one of these ferries at Swartz Bay.

This is how it works. You take a taxi from YYJ to Swartz and then buy your walk on ferry ticket from the ticket office. About $15-17 or so for adults. You walk on the ferry and find the driver's counter and stand in line. Maybe you will be first in line, or maybe the only people in line. When the coach drives on the ferry, the driver lets people off and then locks the bus and comes up to the passenger decks to the driver's counter. S/he sells tickets to people at that time. The driver will tell you what deck # the coach is parked on. Maybe Deck 1 or 2. It will be at the bow end of the ferry. When the ferry is arriving at Tsawwassen, there is an announcement for "all bus passengers to go down to the car deck to board the bus." During the 1.5 hours sailing, you sit in the lounge on maybe Deck 5 or 6 or maybe walk around outside on the promenade deck, maybe eat some dinner in the cafeteria, maybe visit the gift shop. So you take the elevator with your luggage to where the bus is and wait for the driver to unlock the doors and let everybody on the bus. Off you go, driving off the ferry and on to the airport at Vancouver.

There are several different styles of ferries. The ones on the 3, 5 or 7 pm runs are the Spirit boats. I think they have 6 decks, they can take ~2000 pax and ~400 cars. Here is a look at one of them:

westcoastferries.ca/ferries/bcferries/spirit…

Beijing
Level Contributor
339 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation between Tsawwassen ferry terminal and YVR

Dear Muftimix,

You are being so helpful! Now that I have a very clear idea of the whole trip. Thanks soooooooo much!

One more question here :) - When does it turn dark in Vancouver in end July? Will the light good enough to enjoy the views on the 5 pm ferry?

cheers,

Lily

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,289 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation between Tsawwassen ferry terminal and YVR

The sun will set at 9 pm on July 28th with about half an hour of dusk after that.

Edited: 14 June 2012, 00:23