We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle - Vancouver - Victoria - Oregon Coast / 9 days

Chicago
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle - Vancouver - Victoria - Oregon Coast / 9 days

Hi! Help please! We are flying into Seattle, renting a car, driving to Vancouver, taking a ferry to Victoria, ferry back to Vancouver, driving south to the Oregon coast (as far south as Bandon) and then over to Lake Crater and up to Eugene to fly home. We have no idea what we are doing or if this itinerary makes sense and is doable. Will someone please let us know if this is possible to achieve in 9 days. Also, it seems there are many options to ferry from Vancouver to Victoria, but we will have a car (rented at SEA-TAU) and we aren't sure how long we need to see the highlights of Victoria and then back to Vancouver for a day/night. In all, buy DAY 4, we want to be on the Oregon coastal drive heading south. THANK YOU for any and all advice!!!

5 replies to this topic
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,179 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle - Vancouver - Victoria - Oregon Coast / 9 days

Too much too fast. No time to enjoy the scenery. Cut either Vancouver or Victoria or both.

If you look at just the driving part you have

Day 1 SeaTac > Vancouver 3 hours drive time (plus 1 hour border wait 1 hour Seattle traffic delay..these are averages and can be higher but seldom lower) so 5 hour drive

Day 2 Vancouver

Day 3 Vancouver to Victoria via Tswassen ferry 4 hour travel time

( 45 minute to ferry, 1 hour wait time, 1.5 hour crossing time, 45 minute drive to Victoria) assuming very reservation or could be longer.

Day 3 Afternoon Victoria

Day 4 Victoria

Day 5 Depart Victoria 6:30 am on Port Angeles ferry arrive Port Angeles 8am drive to Bandon Oregon arrive Bandon 6:30 pm ( Drive/ferry time is 10.5 hours..this factors in 1.5 hour stopping time for bathrooms/gas and food)

Day 6 Bandon

Day 7 Bandon

Day 8 Bandon to Crater Lake 4 hour drive time

Day 9 Crater Lake to Eugene airport 3 hour drive time drop car fly home

Overall you have 23+ hours of driving in 9 days so even if you do 8 hour driving days you still use 3 of your 9 days just in transit. An 8 hour drive day leaves very little time to actually stop and see anything.

I've stayed in Bandon and it's a charming little town with a ton of parks and things to see and do up and down the nearby coast. Have still not made it to Crater Lake in 50 years of driving by :)

Vancouver can use 3 days at a minimum. Seattle can use 3 days at a minimum, Victoria can easily use 2 days..so there's 8 of your 9 days. The above routing doesn't even bother with any time in Seattle.

I5 is fairly fast driving but lots of trucks..once you head toward the coast it slows considerably.

I'd rethink your plan and personally just do Bandon and Crater Lkae wit maybe some time in Olympic National park.

When are you planning on doing this? Border waits can be as long as 3-4 hours crossing into Canada if near a holiday weekend.

Finally have you factored in drop cost for car between Seatac and Eugene?

https://goo.gl/maps/V8isYPV91FM2

Edited: 14 July 2017, 13:20
Chicago
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle - Vancouver - Victoria - Oregon Coast / 9 days

Oh my! Thank YOU SO MUCH! This is so helpful. We are planning the trip for Oct 11-19, 2017. We do know (since we've all been to Seattle - 2 couples traveling together), we will fly into Seattle and stay only one night. We've all been there before and don't need more than a day. So, this helps, right? Going as far as Bandon and forgetting about Crater Lake makes sense, because we really don't want to miss Vancouver (we've all been before, but it's been years) and, particularly, Victoria. Much appreciate the lesson on driving / ferry / border crossing times!!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,179 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle - Vancouver - Victoria - Oregon Coast / 9 days

Ok..October is a different kettle of fish. Canadian Thanksgiving is Monday Oct 9. After that date border gets much quieter so under 1 hour each way. Weather also gets colder, rainier and days are much shorter so not likely you'll want to do a 10 hour driving day. As well there is no 6:30 am ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles after Labor Day so a 10:30 ferry plus probably an over night somewhere like Salem. Are you going to Bandon for golfing?

Oct 11 Seattle

Oct 12, 13 Vancouver

Oct 14, 15 Victoria

Oct 16 Salem

Oct 17,18 Bandon

Oct 19 Eugene, home

Another option might be Sidney-Anacortes ferry. then down I5. I'm on mobile and can't get the washington State Ferry to load. Washington State ferry runs that route while BlackBall ferry run Victoria to Port Angeles.

If you have 4 drivers you might also look at Victoria to Port Townsend then overnight there..really great small town with good restaurants, music etc. Next day do the 8.5 hour drive to Bandon. Personally I don't find Olympia, or Salem to be great overnight options. You also don't really have time to drive the Oregon Coast...unlesss you skip Bandon and go somewhere further north on the coast like Newport.

Can I ask why Bandon in particular?

Edited: 14 July 2017, 14:29
Chicago
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle - Vancouver - Victoria - Oregon Coast / 9 days

Thx! Good info. We have revised our thoughts, based on your rec's, and are not going any further south than Newport. Originally, Bandon was pegged as our most sourthern coastal point, if we were going to then make it over to Crater Lake.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
79 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle - Vancouver - Victoria - Oregon Coast / 9 days

The fall Washington State Ferry schedule has not yet been published but using history as a reference, there is only one departure from Sidney to Anacortes during October.

Reply to: Seattle - Vancouver - Victoria - Oregon Coast / 9 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Victoria
Recent Conversations