We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Victoria

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Victoria

Good Day,

We will be spending one night in Vicotria later in July as a first stop of our Vancouver Island trip. We are planning to arrive after 3pm, will be staying in the hotel in downtown. Next day we have to drive to Parskville.

Appreciate suggestions of best destinations to enjoy for one afternoon in Victoria and main stops on the way to Parksville. We are family of 3, with 9 years old. so far we have Butchart Gardens on the list and will appreciate advice.

Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Victoria

This is part of a post I wrote a few days ago on an inquiry about driving from Victoria to Tofino.

There is so much to see on that trip that you really need a really full day,

Goldstream Park, big trees, nature house, estuary salmon spawning stream,

First Malahat Lookout, view of Finlayson Arm, a Fjord.

Second Viewpoint, right after rest area, view of Saanich Inlet, Gulf Islands, Mt Baker (dormant volcano)

Chemainus, murals

Nanaimo, harbour, waterfront.

Parkesville, warm ocean sandy beach.

Coombs, country market, goats on the roof.

Little Qualicum Falls.

Cathedral Grove. Gigantic trees.

The last few are out of order, but I think it's very worthwhile to drive out to Cathedral Grove & then return to Parkesville.

It's a real pity that you are only spending less than 24 hours in Victoria. You could see the city after you arrive, Inner Harbour, Buskers, Government Street , Beacon Hill Park, Petting Zoo, Zip Line, Bug Zoo, Empress Hotel, Hatley Castle, Cruise Ship port, Dallas Road, Fisherman's wharf, Royal BC Museum, Imax etc (phew)

Then in the morning, leave for Butchart Gardens. Probably no time for Butterfly Gardens. After the Gardens, you have a choice of taking the beautiful scenic shortcut on the Brentwood -Mill Bay Ferry, but then you miss the first three items on the list, OR heading back into Victoria and taking the highway.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,321 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Victoria

Bug Zoo, Craigdarroch Castle, Beacon Hill Park's children's farm, Beacon Hill Park, ride a Victoria Harbour Ferry, the Inner Harbour with all the buskers and entertainers, ice cream at the Soda Shoppe at Government and Humboldt.

For the main stops to Parksville, use a computer and open the link to the Top Question in the right sidebar about Day Trips from Victoria.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Victoria

Thank you! We will try our best to stretch the day!

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Victoria

I'm looking for suggestions, please. My husband and I will be on a Princess cruise that arrives in Victoria at 7:00pm on Friday September 29--the ship departs at 11:59pm. I'm crushed to learn just now that our Butchart Gardens evening tour has been cancelled, and the Gardens website indicates that it closes at 5:00pm that day. It's always been on my bucket list, so now we must come up with a "Plan B" for the 5 hours we will be there. I'd love suggestions. We like local events & festivals, live music in clubs & pubs, browsing & wandering urban areas. Thanks for any help you can give us.

calgary
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Victoria

Charisa your question has nothing to do with the original posters; you should start your own thread so there is no confusion.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Victoria

Sorry--I've moved it to a new thread.

Reply to: One day in Victoria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Victoria
Recent Conversations