We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Victoria

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Victoria

Planning a Solo trip to Victoria. Where is a good place to stay and where are great photographic areas to visit?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,587 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Victoria

When? Where are you coming from? How are you getting there? Are you renting a car or bringing your own? Helps as well to put your location under your avatar as sometimes specific infos or isn;t applicable.

Go to the full web site for Trip Advisor ( not the App or Mobile as both are useless) On the full site you'll find a plethora of information about accommodations/things to see/do etc. Start with the green bars at the top for hotels. Also giving a budget can help with recommendations.

Finally, welcome to Trip Advisor :)

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Victoria

Hello, I am not sure of anything as of this moment. I am looking at the first week of August this year. I am coming from Los Angeles, CA. I have no idea what plans that I might have that's why I am here.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,587 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Victoria

Theoretically you might have a hotel budget? LOL? How long? Are you going to fly into Seattle and take the Clipper to Victoria or fly into Victoria?

We're all volunteers here and can help you with some things but need a place to start. You could fill in the blanks:

I am coming for x days

I do/do not want to rent a car

I have $/$$/$$$ as a budget for my hotel

That would be a start.

FWIW hotels I or friends have stayed at and would recommend include

Laurel Point Inn

Abigails

Magnolia

The Rialto

Delta Ocean Point

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Victoria

Thank you for responding Traveler47. I'm sorry if I am vague on time, how long & where I am going to fly into. These things I do not know. I have been under major stress at work and I have been given orders to take a vacation. The owner of my company suggested Victoria so that's why I am looking into it. I am planning to go somewhere, sometime the first two weeks of August. Is it better to rent a car or take this Clipper (I am unaware of). Please know that I have not done much research on Victoria, so my knowledge is next to null. Sorry if I am not being more specific, I am being sprung on a vacation that I did not plan on taking this year.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,587 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Victoria

Okay that piece of information is also very helpful!! sort of like a computer..good info in good info out ..lol

So you have two weeks at the beginning of August ( not so far away)and orders to go and get unplugged and rejuvenated. Canada is very busy this year as our national parks are free and the dollar is low compared to yours so Americans are coming in droves.

August is high season and we also have a holiday on August 7th so things may be very busy.

I'm going to give you a few links and a few suggestions which you can mull over. I'm also going to assume you can drive and will rent a car for part of your time here.

1. Fly into Seattle..flights are much cheaper and very frequent. Maybe 2 nights in Seattle as its a lively city. Look at doing a visit to the Seattle Art Museum (wonderful place) and Pike Place market.

Alaska Air are very good. You can take transit from SeaTac (Seattle airport) to downtown.

https://www.alaskaair.com

http://www.seattleartmuseum.org

http://pikeplacemarket.org

2. Take the Clipper to Victoria. It's a walk on ferry that goes from downtown to downtown. Nice sightseeing and they have packages that include hotels at good savings.

www.clippervacations.com/schedules-fares/

Spend 4 nights in Victoria 3 full days gives you a chance to visit at a nice pace. Royal BC Museum, Inner Harbor, Butchart's gardens just sit and watch the little series and seaplanes.

Day 7 rent a car and drive the Pacific Marine Circle Route. Look at Point no Point in Sooke and see if they have any space. You have to call them. No internet

Perfect place to read, walk, watch the ocean and just be. Try and get 3 nights here.

http://pointnopointresort.com

Carry on to Port Renfrew. Stop and walk down to the beaches along the way. French Beach, China Beach, Botanical Beach. Spend 2 nights in Port Renfrew if you can find a place to stay..very small so may be booked up. If no availability then continue your drive around to Cowichan Valley and back to Sidney. Spend a night here before heading back to Victoria to drop car and get Clipper back to Seattle.

http://www.pacificmarinecircleroute.com

This is just an idea and some places for you to check. You might also want to drive the 5 hours to Ucluelet for Pacific Rim Park....lots of options on the island with 2 weeks

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,971 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to Victoria

Okay, I would try to avoid the August 5,6 and 7th weekend. It's a long weekend here, and you may not be able to find a place that you like, within your budget. And I am not sure that there would be any room on the Clipper now either.

Maybe fly into Victoria? That may be the best option, even if it isn't the cheapest. And I'd spend a couple of nights in Victoria, and then rent a car and head up island. Tofino/Ucluelet area is wonderful, but again, I am not sure you would be able to find a place to stay there, given that you are heading this way so soon.

But the north end of Vancouver Island may offer you some great photographic opportunities.

And there is also the Gulf Islands as well. You would want a car to explore any of the islands. And you can get to them easily from Swartz Bay, just a half hour north of Victoria.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
67,130 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip to Victoria

Yes, best to come after the BC Day long weekend. Is any of this ordered vacation going to be paid for by the owner? You say you have a week sometime in the first two weeks of August. Is that right? This trip won't be cheap because it is very busy in Victoria this summer.

Air Canada will fly you from LAX to YYJ (Victoria) with a layover in YVR (Vancouver) for 1h40 min. AC 573 departing LAX at 11h50 am, arriving AC 8073 to Victoria at 5h16 pm.

Alaska flights all leave LAX after 2 pm, arriving Victoria after midnight.

WestJet has a good flight leaving LAX at 12 noon, arriving Victoria at 4h42, with a layover in Vancouver of 1h30 min.

It just depends on how much you want to pack in to your travel and vacation time. As you are stressed, my angle will be to keep it simple.

Arrive Victoria, spend 3 nights.

Rent a car and drive up Island to somewhere like Parksville or Qualicum Beach or Nanaimo. There is a pretty nice B&B called Hammond Bay Oceanside B&B just 10 min from Nanaimo. The outlook is over Pipers Lagoon which comes with bird watching!: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g15…

http://www.hammondbaybb.com/

You can see the Top Question article on day trips from Victoria in the right sidebar which gives you information about what to see and do on the way up to Parksville.

Link: https:/…Day.Trips.From.Victoria.html

Not sure what balance of being busy and being quiet you are looking for? Maybe being busy would be restorative?

Stay in that area for 2-3 nights to have a full day to explore the area. You can be as busy or as quiet as you like. Then return to Victoria for 1 night before flying out. If your return flight is later in the afternoon or evening, you could drive straight to the airport from the Nanaimo area in about 2-2.5 hours.

In Victoria, check the Embassy Inn on Menzies St, Harbour Towers on Quebec St, the Grand Pacific may be a possibility on Belleville St, as might be the Doubletree by Hilton on Douglas St. These are all steps from the Inner Harbour and James Bay which is a delightful place to be.

Because things are quite tight this summer, you might go to expedia.ca and book a flight with hotel. Maybe go to a travel agent who would give you much more personal service than on OTA (Online Travel Agent.) Getting a combo flight with hotel could mean finding better hotels in James Bay or at the Inner Harbour for a combined (and usually lower) price than buying flight and hotel separately.

Let us know more details about what your time parameters are and budget range in CA$ if possible.

8. Re: Planning a trip to Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2018, 01:17