We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria for 48 hours

YORKTOWN
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria for 48 hours

Coming to Victoria via clipper on Sunday. Plan to walk around harbor and have leisurly lunch, then check into Marriott inner harbor. Am thinking that gardens will be less crowded on Monday? But is morning or afternoon better? I also saw something about a hike in gowlland tod provincial park....has anyone done this and how long would we need to get up to top and back? Should we do this on way to or from gardens? Will not have a car so planning on cabs to get around

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,971 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria for 48 hours

When you get off the Clipper, head to the hotel with your luggage. If your room isn't ready, they will still hold the luggage at reception for you. Then you can enjoy the downtown and harbour area without dragging your luggage behind you.

Butchart Gardens is busy every day, all day, right through until Labour Day weekend. Saturdays are the busies, because of the fireworks. But Monday is still busy. I'd go in the morning, if I had the choice. And there is a good transit system too, so you don't need to use a cab to get out there.

Enjoying Gowlland Park the same day would be difficult to arrange. The hike starts at one end, and you finish at another spot all together. So, arranging for a taxi would be kind of difficult, without knowing what pace you kept on the trail, and how often you may stop for pictures. You could certainly do an "in and out" from the one trail head, but again, it would be hard to figure out the timing.

I think the "best" way, would be to bus out to the gardens, and then get a taxi to drop you off at the park entrance. You would want to study the map, and decide which trail you want to hike. I'd ask the taxi driver to then return in an hour, or 90 minutes, to pick you up at the same spot. And then taxi back to downtown.

Honestly, maybe renting a car for the day would be easier. Then you could combine a visit to Sidney by the Sea. Or the winery in Brentwood Bay.

YORKTOWN
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria for 48 hours

Thank you! I think you are right about the car rental...found some reasonable rates and would like some freedom to explore. Thanks!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria for 48 hours

Gowland Todd is quite a big park with several access points. Just off the road to Butcharts is an access to Todd Inlet, which is a pleasant 20 minute walk down alongside the creek to the now abandoned village and newly restored beach. It is like a 'mini fjord. Nice place to spend an hour or so. Just up the hill from the parking lot, though not part of Gowland Todd, is Oak Haven Park, which is a Garry Oak meadow and summit viewpoint. Again about a 15-20 hike to the top, off the Golden Gate parking area.

Continuing closer to Victoria along Wallace Drive, you can gain access to GT by driving up Willis Point road from where you can hike down to Mckenzie Bight park, on the ocean, or hike up to Mt Work, the highest point in GT park. From the summit, you can hike back down the same way, or continue on to the south, but this route, you really need another vehicle to pick you up. This hike will take several hours.

Victoria Capital...
Level Contributor
366 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria for 48 hours

If you don't like crowds get there by 9:00, or go later in the afternoon/early eve. There are loads of buses and vans that come from Vancouver every single morning.

5. Re: Victoria for 48 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2018, 00:18