We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel choices in Victoria

3 posts
Hotel choices in Victoria
Save

Hi!

Can someone help me choose? Late planning trip and I am confused.

We are looking for a 1 bedroom suite ie: one bed in one bedroom and a pullout in the living room since 1 of us is a young adult and need space.

We are going late summer.

My choices are: Accent Hotel, Arbutusin, or Red Lion Inn and suite unless there is another hotel someone can suggest? We are on the quiet side so no bars in the hotel is a bonus.

Thankyou sooo very much!

16 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
79,621 posts
59 reviews
97 helpful votes
1. Re: Hotel choices in Victoria
Save

Did you want to stay 4-5 km north of downtown Victoria? I think you can find a better location than those three hotels for your stay.

Have a look at the Royal Scot Hotel & Suites. Very close to the Inner Harbour, steps away from the Legislature and the Royal BC Museum.

https://royalscot.com/index.html

and the Embassy Inn next door to the RSH&S.

https://www.embassyinn.ca/

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
10,580 posts
166 reviews
116 helpful votes
2. Re: Hotel choices in Victoria
Save

We have stayed at the Best Western Inner Harbour, albiet many years ago. We found it very conveniently located with just a short walk to the town centre. At the time breakfast was included in the tariff and the rooms were clean and comfortable. I have no idea what the rates are now but I've included a link if you want to check it out.

www.victoriabestwestern.com

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
215 posts
134 reviews
37 helpful votes
3. Re: Hotel choices in Victoria
Save

We've stayed at the Oswego on both of our trips to Canada, last time was August 2017.

They have one bed suites:

https://www.oswegohotelvictoria.com/suites/one-bedroom-standard-suite/

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
35,513 posts
16 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: Hotel choices in Victoria
Save

It would help to know your nightly budget range in $$. Your noted choices are at the lower end of the budget, but the Royal Scot above might fit. Helm's Inn might be another option.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Hotel choices in Victoria
Save

Arbutus is sometimes the least expensive motel in the city so it would appear the OP is looking for somewhere rather affordable. That said Accent Inn is often quite a bit more, and is the nicest of the three. However it’s also right on Blanshard Street which becomes highway 17 and is typically heavily travelled as it’s the main highway up peninsula.

The others are on Douglas which becomes Hwy 1 and is another busy route.

Without more details there isn’t much to add beyond the already mentioned better options further south. Ones such as Helm’s Inn offer affordable studios in a good location. Though downtown and James Bay usually means parking fees as well, so add that in too.

3 posts
6. Re: Hotel choices in Victoria
Save

Sorry I didn't add more. Our adult child is going to the University so that's why we are looking closer to that area.

With a teenager in tow, and getting him settled, it would be good to be closer to the University area.

Thankyou for the suggestions

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
10,333 posts
23 reviews
8 helpful votes
7. Re: Hotel choices in Victoria
Save

Anywhere in downtown Victoria is close to the University. It’s a small city and easy to get around, but watch out for the bike lanes!

My choice would be the Best Western Inner Harbour.

Edited: 26 July 2021, 12:59
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Hotel choices in Victoria
Save

Have you considered Airbnb? There are lots of rentals in that area. With no foreign students some may be available. There are no hotels close to UVic.

Accent Inn is probably the closest, though some B&Bs east of downtown would also work as it’s an easy drive north once you’re east of downtown. Having a kitchen or at least a kitchenette would certainly save on food. How long is the stay? Cleaning fees are expensive on short stays with Airbnb. VRBO is the other. Forget the TA vacation rentals as it’s largely a forgotten option. Take the reviews with a large grain of salt since anything under a 4.6 is suspect in Airbnb land. Even some 4.9’s are reviewed by friends.

Beware one place near Hillside mall advertised on here and elsewhere.. an over garage suite recently built that is a scam despite the lofty ratings.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
35,513 posts
16 reviews
25 helpful votes
9. Re: Hotel choices in Victoria
Save

That makes sense then. But I agree with poster #7 - nothing is really that far in Victoria. The main reason I am in Victoria on trips is to do business at the University, and I always stay downtown by the harbour. It takes maybe 20 minutes to get to the university from there.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
79,621 posts
59 reviews
97 helpful votes
10. Re: Hotel choices in Victoria
Save

I understand now, staying in one of those hotels makes sense. I would choose Accent Inn. I've not stayed in that Accent Inn but have in another in the interior of BC. It is a family owned hotel in five locations in BC which has been in business since 1986. It's a 3* hotel. For the purpose of your visit, I would not hesitate to stay here.

Accent Inn has a total of 732 reviews. 82% of them have been rated by guests as Excellent and Very Good (combined) experiences. 114 rooms.

Arbutus Inn has a total o 267 reviews. 66% of them have been rated by guests as Excellent and Very Good (combined) experiences. 52 rooms. Their reviews mention nicely done renovations over the past months.

Red Lion has a total of 349 reviews. 64% of them have been rated by guests as Excellent and Very Good (combined) experiences. 97 rooms.

Just ask for a room on the quiet side, away from the main street.

Reply to: Hotel choices in Victoria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.