We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching in April in Victoria

Philly
Level Contributor
8 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching in April in Victoria

I will be attending a conference in Victoria, BC in mid-April. What are the chances that I will see whales if I go whale watching? I'm reading that summer months are better.

I'd like a longer tour - 3.5-4 hours. Which whale watching companies are best for this type of tour?

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,357 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching in April in Victoria

Here's a link to some pretty thorough info on whale watching out of Victoria.

hellobc.com/en-CA/…Victoria.htm

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching in April in Victoria

I'm not sure the local pods are back in the area yet (that's usually late April/early May) but I've been seeing reports of transient orca sightings. I'd probably go with a company that uses zodiacs, since they have the speed to go further out from Victoria so you're more likely to see whales if they are within range.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching in April in Victoria

check out this info on TA:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154945-c93427/Victor…

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching in April in Victoria

Typically, April is not a great month for whale sightings. Peak season for whale watching is June, July, August. However, I have been hearing numerous reports of whale sightings recently so you might just get lucky!

Although zodiacs are fun, I would choose a covered boat if the weather is cool. Also, it's a bit early in the season and not all companies are operating. It's basically just Eagle Wing and Prince of Whales. I would choose Eagle Wing - they take better care of you and they're rated #1 on Trip Advisor!

5. Re: Whale watching in April in Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2010, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Victoria
Recent Conversations