We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day visit to Butchart/Victoria - is 1-5 PM enough time?

S_S
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
85 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Day visit to Butchart/Victoria - is 1-5 PM enough time?

I am staying in Bellingham in late June and wanted to take the ferry to Victoria and see Butchart gardens. The ferry takes 3 hours each way and there are 4 hours on the Island.

My first question is - is this worth it? Is there something to see while travelling on the ferry?

Second - is this enough time to get to and see Butchart gardens?

Thanks!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,202 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day visit to Butchart/Victoria - is 1-5 PM enough time?

If you have never been on a ferry or on the ocean and Butchart Gardens are on your 'bucket list' then I would have thought it would be worth it. Seems like a long way to go and a lot of time for a daytrip but then again I commuted that much to and from home to work in Japan everyday so .... go for it!

I will be shocked if most others don't recommend it but I guess you need to decide if the whole trip has enough value for you. Being on the water is great especially if the weather is nice. Lots of nice scenery to enjoy and the Gardens are beautiful.

Your 3 hour ferry each way seems a bit long but I am assuming you are coming from Anacortes.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy the day if you go!

Edited: 11 May 2010, 10:22
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,881 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day visit to Butchart/Victoria - is 1-5 PM enough time?

If you're coming on the Anacortes - Sidney WA State Ferry, you will land about 15 minutes from Butchart. You would probably want to allow 1 - 1.5 hours to walk around the gardens. There are two dining options: one is the original Butchart House fine dining and the other is the Blue Poppy cafeteria style restaurants. Food is always fresh and good. They also have a great, expansive, gift shop that is worth wandering around in as well.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day visit to Butchart/Victoria - is 1-5 PM enough time?

OK, the ferry from Bellingham to Victoria docks on the inner harbour in downtown Victoria, which is some distance from Butchart's. However there are taxis and tour buses all over the place down there ... Victoria San Juan Cruises (the ferry operator) mentions a bus tour to Butchart's on their website whales.com/Destinations/…Schedules-Fares.aspx , although it leaves from the Empress, three blocks away.

The ferry takes a very scenic route so you should have a fine full day.

S_S
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
85 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day visit to Butchart/Victoria - is 1-5 PM enough time?

Thanks! I'll check out the integrated tour vs. a taxi. I'm leaving from Bellingham.

5. Re: Day visit to Butchart/Victoria - is 1-5 PM enough time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2010, 00:18