We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Must Do's at the end of May?

Level Contributor
208 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Must Do's at the end of May?

Hello all:

My husband and I and our 5 month old baby boy are heading to Victoria for the first time over Memorial Day weekend. What are your must do's? We were planning on Buchart Gardens, Craigdarrough Castle and possibly tea at the Empress....but aren't sure what else we'd like to do. We will have our car and have 1/2 day on Friday and full days on Saturday and Sunday, we plan on heading home Monday morning. Our baby is very easy going and has been on several long road trips already so we're pretty comfortable bringing him pretty much anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated!

calgary
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Must Do's at the end of May?

If you really want to have tea somewhere - might I suggest you have it at Butchart's; much cheaper than the Empress. It is held in the original Butchart house and you usually require reservations; stop in there when you first arrive and make the reservation for later in the day.

Lethbridge, Alberta
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Must Do's at the end of May?

Have a great time. I just got back from a week in Victoria. I suggest time at Beacon Hill Park - a beautiful park for walking, sitting and seeing wonderful nature. There is a petting zoo there too as well as a giant totem pole.. Nearby is a great Saturday morning Farmers Market with food, local crafts and entertainment - it is James Bay Community Market at the corner of Menzies and Superior Streets.

I wasn't planning to go to the castle but it is very intriguing and so amazing - even just from the outside. Butchart Gardens is also wonderful.

You probably won't have time but the Royal British Columbia Museum is outstanding - there is a full size replica of a woolly mammoth inside the museum so that gives you an idea of the size of the museum. On my next visit to Victoria, I plan to buy a membership so I can visit more than once.

I loved going to Mile 0 of the Trans Canada Highway and seeing the Terry Fox statue and walking along the sea wall. I went to the town of Sidney to visit the aquarium (Shaw Ocean Discover Centre) there which is small but very interesting and of course the water is great. Do try to see the Parliament Buildings at night.

I thought the Inner Harbour wasn't too great but enjoyed Fisherman's Wharf with all the boats, activity and the wonderful houseboats.

Of course tea at the Empress is the place for tea but expensive. Butchart Gardens has a lovely tea place.

Downtown, Murchies Tea and Coffee store is wonderful and right beside is a beautiful book store - Munro Books. I loved wandering Chinatown and found a great place there - Silk Road.

I know too much information but it is a great place. So many beautiful homes and gardens. Have fun.

Level Contributor
208 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Must Do's at the end of May?

Thanks for all the great advice!

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Must Do's at the end of May?

maybe you can squeeze in the Victoria Day parade on Monday before you go ... it is famous and fun.

Level Contributor
208 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria Must Do's at the end of May?

We will have to check into that! Thanks! :)

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria Must Do's at the end of May?

Selkirk Waterfront Festival, located on the Gorge will be an event that is happening at this time. The festival is free, family orientated... lovely location.

Swiftsure International Yacht Race also takes place this weekend, get up early on Saturday and head down to Dallas Road to see the start, usually a spinnakers start, truly amazing to see.

This weekend also marks the inaugural- Tour De Victoria, featuring our very own Tour De France hero Ryder Hesjedal.

James Bay market is up and running again for the season, Saturday morning from 9am-3pm... great food,free entertainment,local produce and arts and crafts.

7. Re: Victoria Must Do's at the end of May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2012, 01:21
Get answers to your questions about Victoria
Recent Conversations