We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historic romantic hotel in Victoria, May 3?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Historic romantic hotel in Victoria, May 3?

Hi,

My wife and I will spend a night in Victoria on our anniversary get-away, and I'm looking for a special place to stay. I'd like to keep it under $150, but still find a lot of character, history, and romantic atmosphere. (I started to say, "find a lot of...romance", but I guess that part's up to me.:) )

We'll have a rental car, so a few miles out is okay.

From TripAdvisor reviews, the English Inn looks good, and Hotels.com has Estate Suites for $91 and Crown Suites for $118. Priceline has both Large King Room and Deluxe King Room for $99, but I don't know whether those are Estate or Crown rooms.

The Magnolia Hotel has great reviews, but looks a bit more sterile and is $197.

The Fairmont Empress has a Fairmont room, non-refundable, for $148. That would be cool since we had high tea there once 15 years ago and it seems like "the" hotel. I'm sure some will reply that it's over-rated because of that.

Oooh... A Fireplace or Foxglove room at the Abigail looks fantastic (canopy bed, wood-burning fireplace, claw foot tub)! But it's $239. :(

Maybe I need a bed and breakfast in Victoria instead. But it's getting too late. I'll research that tomorrow.

So any input on hotels?

Thanks!

Luke

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Historic romantic hotel in Victoria, May 3?

BUT, if you work it into your budget, you can't beat the Empress for romance and history. Our first trip to Victoria was for our 10th anniversary in 1981. (The same day Charles and Diana wed) I had prepaid for the room well in advance, but when we arrived the US dollar had gained so much against the Canadian currency that our "regular" room was upgraded to a suite on the 4th floor overlooking the harbor -- complete with a room for our maid (Darn. We left her at home, LOL). If you tell them that it's a special annversary, they may sweeten the pot a litrtle. No matter what, though, you will enjoy Victoria. We've been back an average of once a year since our first visit. Have a timeshare there, now, so we can save our money for great dinners!

12. Re: Historic romantic hotel in Victoria, May 3?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2013, 05:23