We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watch in March?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sidney
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watch in March?

I'm going to Vancouver/Victoria next week and was wondering if it is worth going on a whale watch this time of the year. I love whales and would love to do it but since I'll have only 2 days in Victoria I would do it only if the "success rate" is considered somewhat good. I would be grateful for any information if anyone of you have been on one of these trips in March.

Thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
52,025 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watch in March?

Whale watching out of Victoria is possible for Orcas. I think the only company available in March might be Prince of Whales. Have a look in the left sidebar under "Things to Do --- Tours"

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watch in March?

I just saw on twitter whales have been spotted in Tofino so am almost certain you may see off the coast of Victoria. Tourism Victoria has a great website for information!

Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watch in March?

We went out with BC Whale Tours in Victoria on Mar 10 and saw whales! Granted we were very lucky because they tell you it's 50/50 if you'll see them. It's really a wildlife tour but if there are whale sightings that day they will go and look for them otherwise they will take you to see the sea otters and seals. It's a nice boat too...you can sit inside or out.

Sidney
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watch in March?

Dencan, thanks for the great tip! I almost abandoned the whale watch idea, given the weather conditions... I'll definitely give it a try and will book BC Whale Tours right away. Thanks!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watch in March?

I should mention that whales spotted in Tofino doesn't necessarily reflect the whale situation around Victoria. Most companies don't offer whale watching this early, not because there aren't any whales, but because the stormy weather often causes cancellations. However, speak with the whale watching operators in Victoria - they should be transparent and let you know exactly how sightings have been recently. There is one pod (J Pod) of orcas who reside around Victoria (and not Tofino) year round - it's not so much a matter of them not being there, it's just a matter of locating them day to day. Victoria whale watching companies also limit their whale watching times to a maximum of three hours, giving you an hour radius of travel time to find them. If the whales happens to be outside of that hour radius, then you'll go back without a sighting with a voucher to try again until you do spot whales.

Edited: 14 March 2012, 15:46
6. Re: Whale watch in March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 05:42