We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Osoyoos to Vernon - which route?

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
49 reviews
Driving from Osoyoos to Vernon - which route?

We're going from Osoyoos to Vernon in early April and we can drive up Hwy 97 or up the east side, using Hwy 3 and 33. Thogh the east side looks longer, it also seems like it will be more isolated and possibly more scenic. Any opinions on these options?

9 replies to this topic
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
597 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Osoyoos to Vernon - which route?

Hwy 3/33 is a good road but mainly timber and scattered small farms and small communities, not tons of distant views. Make sure you fuel up at Rock Creek as no fuel stops till you get near Kelowna. I would suggest driving north through the Okanagan valley to West Kelowna and then along the west side of Okanagan Lake on Westside road where you will come out near Spallumcheen golf course and then travel to Vernon. It is a slow winding paved road but lots of viewscapes of Okanagan Lake.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
14,087 posts
152 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Osoyoos to Vernon - which route?

and I'd actually go an even slower route which is up Eastside Road to Penticton then either through Kelowna if you want to see the town and make a stop or go on Westside Road as mentioned by Mooseboy. Westside Road is very narrow and slow but fabulous views and lately (last summer) we've seen mountain sheep on the road twice.

here's a map using Eastside Road and going into Kelowna

http://goo.gl/maps/JeNtw

and here's the one via Eastside Road and Westside Road. It says 3 hours but I' think this is far too fast..probably more like 4 hours total drive time

http://goo.gl/maps/WpDsv

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,550 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Osoyoos to Vernon - which route?

hi

if you have never been to the Okanagan my suggestion is to take #97 all the way.

I have only used #3 and #33 when the 97 was closed due to landslide when they were building the highway a few years ago and it was not a nicer drive than the 97.

If you have 2 or 3 nights to make this trip I can suggest some interesting detours along the way and some overnight stays.

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Kelowna
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Driving from Osoyoos to Vernon - which route?

Use 33 and cross the bridge in Kelowna to Westside road to Vernon.

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Kelowna
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Driving from Osoyoos to Vernon - which route?

Use 33 and cross the bridge in Kelowna to Westside road to Vernon.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
14,087 posts
152 reviews
6. Re: Driving from Osoyoos to Vernon - which route?

So obviously there's no one favoured route LOL..I've driven all of them 33 has much less traffic but also much less scenic IMO.

97 is the major hwy.

no matter which you choose if you go through Okanagan Falls stop at Tickleberry's for great ice cream

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
33,037 posts
62 reviews
7. Re: Driving from Osoyoos to Vernon - which route?

You can get some nasty commuter congestion heading into Kelowna along 97, so if you do go that way, make sure you travel off peak.

BC
Level Contributor
5,616 posts
201 reviews
8. Re: Driving from Osoyoos to Vernon - which route?

Probably too late for you, but this may help someone else with the same question.

Oh gosh, do not drive highway 33. That is such a boring road! I really hate when we have to drive that way. I can not imagine someone recommending that route over highway 97 which is a very pretty route.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
49 reviews
9. Re: Driving from Osoyoos to Vernon - which route?

Thanks all! We took 97 and it was a fabulously pretty drive. So glad I asked and got your advice.

Reply to: Driving from Osoyoos to Vernon - which route?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vernon