We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any idea why so many restaurants close so early?

Alberta
Level Contributor
6 posts
123 reviews
Any idea why so many restaurants close so early?

On a recent trip to Vernon we were busy during the day and had late suppers, so we pretty much had fast food or chain restaurants for supper.

There were some places we would have liked to check out, but they closed early--or they were pubs, which might not work with a family.

Any tips for the next time we're in the area?

Nothing fancy or expensive, but not as cheap as fast food.

Thanks.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
132 reviews
1. Re: Any idea why so many restaurants close so early?

Since you didn't give any details, I don't know how early the restaurants closed, but I am guessing that there isn't enough business to be had to warrant them staying open later. It makes no sense to be paying a server, bartender, a couple of cooks and a dishwasher when there are only five diners in a restaurant, so if there just isn't the kind of traffic to justify staying open later, they won't.

Edited: 18 August 2015, 03:03
Alberta
Level Contributor
6 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: Any idea why so many restaurants close so early?

Well, yes, I get that as a reason, and it did occur to me--but I really was asking the locals if they are aware of reasons that might be directly related to things in Vernon, not a general possible answer.

Is there more to it?

I wanted a deeper answer--but thanks for responding.

And on a related note--what places might be open later other than fast food & national chains?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,480 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: Any idea why so many restaurants close so early?

What is early to you? I just spent 15 minutes looking through the restaurants listed in the green menu bar (under Restaurants).

There is no deeper answer as there are restaurants open until 10 or 11 pm. And they are not fancy or expensive.

I opened a bunch of restaurants in the listings to have a look at the individual listings page. Under the map at the right of each listing page is business information: phone number, website sometimes. Some don't have a website because businesses must pay for that, so not all businesses put their website on TA. It is not hard to google the restaurant and get the FB page or the website. So then I looked at the websites. Some restaurants don't seem to want customers as they didn't put their hours on their FB page. Anyway I found 4 restaurants that I would be interested in:

Station BBQ Smokehouse, open to 8pm or 9 pm on Saturday.

Tita's Italian Bistro, open to 9 pm

Intermezzo, 4 pm to Close

Sir Winston's Pub, open to 11 pm. (Do you have a family, is that why you said pubs might not work with a family?)

Then I looked at hotels, because often hotels have restaurants on site and found 2 hotels with rather good choices:

Fairfield Inn and Suites website, under dining in their menu bar, shows a Red Robin, open to 10 pm or 11 pm on Saturday, Eclectic Med, open until 10 pm.

Pacific Inn website, under dining, shows a Ricky's, open to 9 pm or 10 pm on Saturday.

Maybe you don't know about the Restaurants section in the green menu bar. But the information is there for you if you want to do the work.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
33,019 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Any idea why so many restaurants close so early?

Often the restaurants attached to hotels will be open later. Might be worth phoning ahead to let them know you are coming.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,546 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Any idea why so many restaurants close so early?

Because it is run on "Okanagan Time" a concept that takes a while to grasp when you first move to the Okanagan from Alberta. (-:

You never expect that things will be open on Monday you call first.

No serious business is scheduled for Friday afternoon.

You leave the office at 8:00 for a meeting that is scheduled for 8:00 because it is always just 5 minutes away

no ties are allowed in the summer; unless you are going to a funeral or a lawyer going to court;

and, you never compare about how things are done in Alberta........

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
6. Re: Any idea why so many restaurants close so early?

Sounds ideal. When can I move?! I really did love the pace of life when we visited Penticton in June. Passed Vernon on our way out- looked spectacular also

Alberta
Level Contributor
6 posts
123 reviews
7. Re: Any idea why so many restaurants close so early?

Wow--I missed these replies--thanks to those who did reply-if you see this...

In response to Mufti-

I did check all the places you mentioned-

It was around 7 or so-- and it wasn't Saturday so

Station BBQ Smokehouse wasn't an option--too close to closing

Tita's Italian Bistro was possibly the only choice--but I don't remmeber what the issue was--but there was one--but it would have been the only option that wasn't a chain.

Intermezzo was closed--we checked

Sir Winston's Pub--yes we were travelling as a family.

Red Robin & Ricky's are chains--something I was looking to not go to.

Still overall we did enjoy our time in Vernon.

British Columbia...
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
94 reviews
8. Re: Any idea why so many restaurants close so early?

Pubs allow families nowadays, not a big deal if mom or dad want a drink with dinner or not. You're not going to be sitting at the bar and it's not going to be rowdy at 7pm.

9. Re: Any idea why so many restaurants close so early?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2017, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Vernon