We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Group of 20... accom

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Group of 20... accom

We are a group of adults (10) and (10) kids ages ranging from 2-18 that are planning to travel to Whistler in December 2018.

We are happy to split up for accom options and thought looking at 2 condos would be most suitable for our large group - any suggestions on accommodation options?

We are beginner skiers (some of the group have never seen snow) so we thought lessons would be a great start - is there a group that offer private lessons for a larger group or would it be cheaper to just book lessons once there?

Also we would like to travel to whistler from either the 19th or 21st - 26th December 2018

Suggestions on where to book enjoy a special Christmas lunch?

As whistler will be one of multiple destinations (traveling from Australia) we would be looking for value for money.

Thanks in Advance

Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
9 replies to this topic
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Group of 20... accom

Only lessons are through Whistler-Blackcomb snow school (which most feel is VERY good). They offer private lessons. With different ages and abilities, splitting into several groups best.

Planning lessons suggests staying relatively close (ie walking) to village base (though not necessarily actually in the village). Creekside would be an issue transport wise.

Be aware that Whistler is VERY crowded and extra extra expensive at Christmas (it's a zoo). (Coincidentally, Whistler was just ranked as THE most expensive place in Canada to spend New years eve.)

Personally, I would reconsider and look into one of the MANY excellent ski areas in the interior of British Columbia (for example, but not limited to: Silver Star, Big White, Sun Peaks). Better experience at this time, less expensive and much less expensive.

(I live here in Whistler and love the mountains here... but it is awful at Christmas. Just my opinion.... )

Edited: 30 December 2017, 16:42
Mentioned in this post
Whistler Blackcomb
Whistler Blackcomb
3,607 Reviews
Whistler, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Sun Peaks
Sun Peaks
637 Reviews
Sun Peaks, Canada
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Group of 20... accom

correction: interior BC ski areas much less crowded (and less expensive) at Christmas

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8,777 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Group of 20... accom

Landfall

Although I am also a big fan of Whistler I would recommend you avoid it at that time of year due to cost and being crowded. It has a great atmosphere, best skiing in North America but for a group of 20 newbies I would recommend somewhere like Big White or Sun Peaks.

Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Canada
Level Contributor
5,508 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Group of 20... accom

Or Fernie.

Panorama.

Mentioned in this post
Fernie
Fernie
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
New Zealand
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Group of 20... accom

The feedback has me worried for our trip in a couple of weeks ( arrive in Whistler 15Jan). Landfall, do you think all of January is still a "zoo" at Whistler?

Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Group of 20... accom

To answer the OP, I **love** Whistler and feel it’s worth the expense and “zoo”-ness for a group that can enjoy the entire range of terrain the mountain provides. But for a group of skiing newbies, I’d suggest going somewhere else. There are others on the board who can make those recommendations better than I can...

As for crowds in January....should be better since school is back in session just about everywhere by 1/3 or so. Could get busy for MLK day/weekend (1/14-1/16), as there will likely be an influx of visitors from the US.

Edited: 30 December 2017, 22:23
Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Group of 20... accom

Vancouver and Whistler schools are off until Jan 7.

Yes, Whistler will be much less crowded by Jan 15th (it will be its "normal" zoo...). I can't wait, can't come soon enough!

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8,777 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Group of 20... accom

January is great as the crowds leave after New Years holiday end which in most cases will be Jan 6 or 7 and then pick up again for Canada's family day/American Presient's day which is mid Feb.

Your good

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Group of 20... accom

Pardon my error on the Vancouver school’s Info. Guess you’ll have a quiet week from 7-13, and then after 1/16. It was super quiet the week before Xmas (except for Wednesday, the day after a big dump) apparently because with the timing of Xmas, kids were still in school.

My kids have been off since 12/15 and go back 1/3, which CANNOT come soon enough :-D.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Reply to: Group of 20... accom
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted