We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage prices?

Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage prices?

Hi, I am due to fly to Vancouver from London Heathrow on the 28th Jan 2012. I have phoned Air Canada and they tell me I am allowed to take my skis on the plane with no extra charge? Surely this cant be correct?

I was a bit skeptical as the call centre person didnt speak very good english and I was wondering if anyone has flown with air canada on this route and could shed some light on the situation?

Thanks in advance

John

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,035 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage prices?

Hi John;

I would suggest posting your question on the “Air Travel” forum as well.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Best Regards

Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage prices?

Thanks for the advice!

Just done as you suggested :-)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,035 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage prices?

You're Welcome !

Wales
Level Contributor
698 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage prices?

Hi Jonmarc

we are flying Air Canada and Luthansa 22nd Dec and yes the site states tha ticket includes any ski carraige and 22 kg of hold luggage

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,561 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage prices?

I know the rules have changed in recent years, but it used to be that sporting equipment was excluded from the baggage allowances, and I also know that for international flights the rules are usually different from internal flights. You'll probably get better advice from the Air Travel forum, but it doesn't surprise me that this is the case.

Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage prices?

Oh that would be very nice if i didnt have to pay for my equipment . . . I shall phone my travel agent tomorrow to confirm.

Holland
Level Contributor
567 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage prices?

Why don't you check Air Canada's website ? Usually airlines have this type of info clearly stated on their website.

Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baggage prices?

I did check air canada web site and i thought it was pretty clear to be fair but the call centre woman had a different opinion to the website which threw me off course lol

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,825 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baggage prices?

If you are travelling economy, my reading of the baggage allowance says 1 piece included. Sports equipment (skis) make up a second piece and will be charged. All sets of skis have to be in one container to count as one piece. You do get a boot bag thrown in but it can contain only boots. You will have to pay, IMO. If your ticket was issued before last June 1st, it will be $50, after that $70. Other fare types have different inclusions of luggage. If you fly at the Prestige level, for example, you will get 2 bags included.

My advice for calling AC call center is to call M-F between 8 and 5, Toronto time. That's when the regular, more senior staff work. Outside of those times and from one day to the next you can get different answers each time.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Baggage prices?

Given how confusing baggage rules are, I find the info on Air Canada's web site quite clear. It matches what Mufti says above:

- aircanada.com/en/…-ski

- aircanada.com/en/…excessbaggage.html

I'm not convinced it does much good to call the call centre, as it's very unlikely the rules as written on the web site are incorrect. In the end, it comes down to what happens at check-in -- plan to pay, but if it's free you'll have a nice surprise!