We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in May with 4 adults and 1 senior?

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
412 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights in May with 4 adults and 1 senior?

My family of 4 adults will be bringing my mother in law to Whistler in the early part of May. We'll be driving/ferrying from Nanaimo, so I figure a 2 night stay is best.

Where do you think we should stay with two 20 somethings and their 80+ grandma? She's awesome, but she won't be able to walk far. But we will have a rental car.

What activities are "not to be missed" in May, especially for the younger ones?We've never been to Whistler so we want to see and do as much as possible!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,498 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in May with 4 adults and 1 senior?

Hi Cindymkali:

I just responded to your other posting, but see from this one that you will have 4 adults plus a senior. I assume you will want at least 3 bedrooms, preferably on one level or with limited stairs. For this reason, your initial selection of Montebello is a good one, however you will need to drive into the village.

For active adventure for the 20 somethings I would recommend the Zipline. Normally, I would also recommend riding to the top of the mountain and having lunch if the day is clear as the view is spectacular, however, the Whistler Gondola is not a full 'sit-down' situation so if your Mother-in-law can't 'lean' for 20 minutes it might not be wise.

Edited: 18 March 2012, 20:46
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in May with 4 adults and 1 senior?

Another thing we did the last time we visited in Summer was drive a bit further up the Sea to Sky Highway towards Pemberton and there are some good walking trails to Nairn Falls - nothing too difficult or long but amazing scenery and the falls are worth a look.

Ontario
Level Contributor
412 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in May with 4 adults and 1 senior?

Pantix, we decided to book a 2 bedroom suite the Delta in the village. Less driving and a better location for all of us.

Can I ask what you mean by "leaning" on the gondola?

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in May with 4 adults and 1 senior?

What Pantix is referring to is that there are no seats in the Whistler Gondola, simply a padded "ledge" about 6 inches / 15cm deep to rest your rear end on for the duration of the journey.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights in May with 4 adults and 1 senior?

i would actually describe the Village gondola seat as a seat (narrow for sure, but you sit on it), but is the Whistler Village Gondola even open in May? The Peak to Peak Gondola isn't, and it's unclear to me if the gondola is closed, too. May is an in between season--the end of skiing and the beginning of biking. You might peruse the website and make sure there are things that appeal to you before committing to the trip--Whistler is such an outdoor sports mecca, and I haven't the foggiest idea what people would do if they aren't skiing/biking/hiking/etc.

You can rent a wheelchair from your mom from the drugstore, if you think she might not be able to make it around the pedestrian village.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,498 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights in May with 4 adults and 1 senior?

Christy1's right. I checked the website. Unfortunately, the summer sight seeing season doesn't start until May 22 from Blackcomb Base, and May 26 from Whistler Base. So you won't be able to go up the mountain, but you can still see lots from the village.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights in May with 4 adults and 1 senior?

I contacted Whistler/Blackcomb as we will be visiting in for Mother's Day. She said the chairlifts will be open on Whistler Mountain only. No gondolas. No Blackcomb.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights in May with 4 adults and 1 senior?

Never mind my post above. I posted the wrong information. So Sorry. I tried to edit, but it timed me out.

Here is what the email said:

During your stay the Blackcomb mountain will be operating for sightseeing. You would be able to upload the Wizard and Solar Coaster chair lifts, sightsee at the top and visit the on-mountain Rendezvous Lodge which will be serving food. (Our full service restaurant Christine’s on Blackcomb will be closed Apr 22nd -June 23rd). Please note that the chair lifts are exposed and there is a snowy transition from one lift to the other so suitable clothing and footwear are recommended.

(Then I emailed back about bringing a baby on a chair lift)

Yes chairlifts are quite different to gondolas in that gondolas are total enclosed. If you would like to see some pictures of chairlifts and gondolas our website has a photo gallery and may give you an idea (please see link and image below).

You are able to carry infants/toddlers on to chairlifts and have them on your lap. They are not allowed to be taken up a chairlift in a backpack or sling. Between the two chairlifts you would need to upload there is a very short walk to the next lift (which may be snowy).

9. Re: 2 nights in May with 4 adults and 1 senior?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2013, 05:25