We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Garry Apartments - Do you know if they are nice?

Which Winnipeg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
56 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Fort Garry Apartments - Do you know if they are nice?

I will be living in Winnipeg for four weeks March-April while I'm in a show at MTC (Girls Only - The Secret Comedy of Women) The producer is puting us up at the Fort Garry apartments. I can't find much info about them. I'm guessing they are near the hotel.

Anyone know what they are like? Is there a grocery store nearby? Ok to walk around at night?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Garry Apartments - Do you know if they are nice?

I assume it's the Fort Garry Place apartments you will be staying at. They are located directly behind the Hotel Fort Garry, but they are not associated with each other (other than the guests of the hotel can use the pool/exercise area in Fort Garry Place). It's just an apartment building, so the producer must have a couple of apartments that they rent on a permanent basis to use for cast and crew members. I believe one of the towers is for seniors only and the other one is people of all ages. There is a small grocery store across Broadway Avenue and over about 1 or 2 blocks on Donald. I can't remember the name. Other than that, there is a grocery in the basement of The Bay store, which is on Portage Ave. and about 10 blocks from where you're staying. You will, however, be quite close to The Forks, which is the main tourist destination in Winnipeg. There are some fruit & vegetable, meat, wine, and bakery vendors in one of the buildings there. The nearest supermarket is probably the Safeway, which is in Osborne Village. You'd probably have to take a bus or cab to get to it. You will be located a bit of a hike from MTC. It would take 20-30 minutes to walk depending on how fast you are (it can still be pretty cold here at that time of year so you'll probably move fast or take a bus! We often get some of our heaviest snowstorms during March.). Yes, it's a fairly safe neighborhood to walk around at night. There isn't really much to do around there at night other than a few restaurants and the lounge in the Hotel Fort Garry. If you want to spoil yourself, by all means, indulge in one of the Sunday morning brunches at the Hotel Fort Garry. They're unbelieveable, although a bit pricey depending on your budget. There is also a great spa in the hotel called TEN if you need a massage, manicure, etc.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
56 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Garry Apartments - Do you know if they are nice?

What great info. Thanks.

Good to know about the spa. I'll be doing eight shows a weeks, so a massage may be in order. :)

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Garry Apartments - Do you know if they are nice?

Hi, I used to know someone who lived in those apartments; they are nothing fancy but nothing to worry about either. They should be fine. (Granted this was about 10 yrs ago!0

If you are interested in the spa, besides Ten Spa at the Fort Garry there is also the Riverstone Spa at Inn at the Forks, which is just a few minutes walk away (maybe 10 min) in the Forks.

Here is a website with some info about the apt building; doesn't show inside photos but may be of some use: http://www.rentcanada.com/edison/gar85.html

If you won't have a car, you'll be happy to know there is a free downtown bus called Downtown Spirit: …winnipegtransit.com/en/… Click on "Complete Spirit Network" to see the map. You'll see "MTC Warehouse" on there near the top right, and "Fort Garry Gate" (right behind the hotel & apts)

The green line (Spirit 3) runs until 7pm Mon-Sat and you could catch it a few blocks (maybe 8-10 min walk) from your apt and get off right by MTC. The other two lines end earlier in the day.

The Forks is also indicated on that map on the right; the bus goes there but you'd have to do the whole loop so might as well walk. You'll also see "CityPlace" on the map, this is a small shopping mall. "Portage Place Shopping Centre" is a larger mall (maybe 10-15 min walk from FG) and "MTS Centre" is our very nice sports / concerts arena. "Millenium Library" is our largest library and is quite nice.

I subscribe to MTC with my sisters but only for the mainstage; I looked up some info about your play (at the warehouse; MTC's smaller stage down the street) and it looks fun! We'll have to get tickets!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
56 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Garry Apartments - Do you know if they are nice?

This is amazing info. Thank you so much. It would be lovely to have you at the show. From all the feelers I've put out, I feel like everyone in Winnipeg is wonderful. Yes, come to the show. It's a ball.

5. Re: Fort Garry Apartments - Do you know if they are nice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2010, 00:18