We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from Bar Harbor, ME to Hopewell Cape, NB

dallas
Level Contributor
268 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
drive from Bar Harbor, ME to Hopewell Cape, NB

Hi,

I will be driving from Bar Harbor to Hopewell Cape, NB on July 1.

Here are 2 options:

1. US-1 to NB-1

2. US-1 to ST189 at Whiting, ME to Lubec, ME cross Roosevelt International Bridge to Campobello Island, NB through Canada Customs. Take Campobello Island - Deer Island ferry, and then take Deer Island, NB to Letete, NB ferry.

The second route saves some mileages (about 15 miles) but takes longer time (according to google map, it takes

about 38 minutes longer than the first route, not sure if that already includes the ferry crossing time), is it worth the extra time?

Thanks in advance

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive from Bar Harbor, ME to Hopewell Cape, NB

Hi Dallas!

If you get good weather for the sail, I think you'll be glad you went by way of the Fundy Isles.

You take the bridge from Lubec, ME to Campobello Island, Canada. There's never a customs queue here, unlike at Calais, ME. It's a quiet border crossing, making your entry to Canada quick and pleasant.

(Be mindful that while US citizens do not need a passport to enter Canada, your Border Patrol DOES require one for you to re-enter the United States, even for US citizens.)

Visit Franklin Delano Roosevelt's summer place there, a Canadian national park.

From Campobello to Deer Island is a small, privately-run ferry that leaves Campobello at the top of the hour from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Here's the internet address:

http://www.deerisland.nb.ca/ferries.htm

(Don't forget the time change, by the way. New Brunswick is on Atlantic Daylight Time, one hour ahead of Eastern Daylight Time and two hours ahead of Central Daylight Time. When it's 9 a.m. in Bar Harbor, it's 10 a.m. in New Brunswick, and 8 a.m. in Dallas.)

From Deer Island to the mainland, the ferries are synchronized so that those making a continuous trip can easily connect. The Deer Island internet site I mentioned also gives Deer Island ferry times. When we visited, on the morning July 1, 2009, there was little ferry traffic and no waiting. I don't believe reservations are accepted anyway on these small ferries.

The Fundy Isles may take marginally longer, because of the ferries, but it's vastly more scenic, and worth the trip in my view.

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive from Bar Harbor, ME to Hopewell Cape, NB

Does Deer Island Ferry run on July 4?

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive from Bar Harbor, ME to Hopewell Cape, NB

I know of no reason to think the Deer Island ferry does not run on Sunday July 4.

Don't forget that July 4 is not a national holiday in Canada.

dallas
Level Contributor
268 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive from Bar Harbor, ME to Hopewell Cape, NB

Many thanks, David!

5. Re: drive from Bar Harbor, ME to Hopewell Cape, NB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 01:17