We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shediac - 3 weeks too long?

Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
196 posts
33 reviews
19 helpful votes
Shediac - 3 weeks too long?
Save

We are considering a house exchange from Spain in May 2013 (like to plan ahead!) but we know nothing about Shediak or New Brunswick. We love scenery and walking - would 3 weeks be too long in this area?

6 replies to this topic
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
26,859 posts
125 reviews
187 helpful votes
1. Re: Shediac - 3 weeks too long?
Save

If you are willing to take overnight trips from Shediac, it would be a good base to visit three Maritime provinces - New Brunswick, PEI, and Nova Scotia. PEI is not far away at all, but there is a toll ($43.25) to cross the bridge back to the mainland which perhaps makes a day trip a bit much - and besides, it would be best to spend at least a couple of days there.

May is a bit before the tourist season (peak is July and August), so some touristy things may not yet be open and operating for the season. It's also not quite beach weather (for swimming).

Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
196 posts
33 reviews
19 helpful votes
2. Re: Shediac - 3 weeks too long?
Save

Thank you for this - I have been told from someone else that May is a bit too early to visit so we may revise the dates

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
28,383 posts
27 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Shediac - 3 weeks too long?
Save

hi

I know you only asked about the season but I got carried away.

Shédiac is a typical summer holiday town with a wonderful beach (Parlee Beach) at Pointe-du-Chêne ; not much to do off season namely from sept 15 to June 15. so if you are planning on spending time on the beach you need to be there in July and August.

No public transportation so a car is needed to see the area.

Moncton is the closest City about 20 minutes away; with the airport.

http://g.co/maps/um46u

for a bit of history this area is called L`Acadie - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadia

New Brunswick has villages/towns/cities on the perimeter of the province with heavily forested area in the middle so the concept of visiting New Brunswick is not really a good idea.

Day or 1/2 day trips from Shediac would mean:

going to Moncton for shopping

going to Buctouche in the other direction for lunch at la Sagouine restaurant for a good taste of lobster. about 1 hr if you take the coast road. Bouctouche Dune is also worth a visit.

going to Cap Pelé in the other direction to see Acadian pride and fishing villages. about 30 min.

an overnite trip to PEI is feasible and if stretched to 2-3 days you can do this circular route.

http://g.co/maps/kk4dc

Sackville is a University town http://g.co/maps/29yxg

where you can drive to the Bay of Fundy and observe the highest tides in the world. about 40 minutes.

OK enough for now (-:

cheers

cb

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
48 reviews
50 helpful votes
4. Re: Shediac - 3 weeks too long?
Save

definitly try to the the place a little later in the year. september would be ideal. still warm but after the tourist season.

you'd want to go to hopewell rocks. go see it at high tide first and then go back during low tide.

fundy national park is very beautiful.

Kouchibouguac National Park is great.

the water off the shediac coast is some of the warmest water in the area.

i'd do a couple of overnight trips - you could take the ferry over from saint john to digby, nova scotia. if you want to take an extra night or two go to halifax too.

you cold go to pei for 2-3 nights

Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
196 posts
33 reviews
19 helpful votes
5. Re: Shediac - 3 weeks too long?
Save

thanks for all the very useful information - we are now looking at September after everyone great comments!

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
12 helpful votes
6. Re: Shediac - 3 weeks too long?
Save

I live in Shediac and i would recommend the first 3 weeks in July! You can check out the lobster festival. It is from July 4th to 8th this year i believe, might want to double check that. Beaches here are really nice. If you like a small town feel then this is the place for you.

Reply to: Shediac - 3 weeks too long?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Shediac
US$USD
Canada (English)
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.