We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lobster Season When is it?

home
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Lobster Season When is it?

Can you tell me when lobster season runs, and where is the best place to experience these delicious creatures? What else should I know about lobster season? Cheers

Vermont
Level Contributor
240 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lobster Season When is it?

Lobster season is generally in June, but varies across Newfoundland and from year to year.

On the SW coast, near Port-aux-Basques, the last few years have seen lots of lobster with the price going down to as low as $2/lb on the wharf. Good for eaters, bad for fishers.

You can buy lobster at fish stores but it's way more fun and cheaper to find a small village and deal with locals as they get out of their boats.

I used to help my neighbor in Rose Blanche make his pots. Now he uses all metal ones.

Have a great trip.

Jordan

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lobster Season When is it?

Lobster season is set by DFO and changes from year to year depending on the lobsters moult cycle. It also varies from area to area, also depending on the moult due to water temperatures.

The season typically starts in April-May and closes in June-July. Expect to pay $2-4/lb dockside and $6-8/lb retail.

The secret to buying lobster is selecting the 1.5lb lobsters, after that there is a heavier shell weight meaning for each increase in meat weight the amount of shell required to cover it increases exponentially. That being said its always fun to eat a lobster the size of a small child!

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
616 posts
409 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lobster Season When is it?

right now the retail rate is around 5.99 a lb dock side on the west side is $4.00

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Lobster Season When is it?

when is this years lobster season in Newfoundland?

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lobster Season When is it?

Doggles ... "That being said its always fun to eat a lobster the size of a small child!" Ha Ha I love that!

Can you recommend a good restaurant near Gros Morne Park to have a lobster supper? That's where we'll be spending our first full day and I can't think of a better way to celebrate being in Newfoundland than a lobster supper. ( We prairie folks don't get lobster like that out here!) Thank you!

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lobster Season When is it?

There is a restaurant called "Java Jack's" that we usually eat at when we are in GM. We are never wowed, but it is the best/only real restaurant in the GM area. Last year they did have Lobster when we were there although I am not sure if it is a regular menu item.

We usually stay at a cottage in Rocky Harbour with a full kitchen for lobster boils.

If you want to wait for a proper lobster restaurant experience I would suggest waiting until you are in the St. John's area.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lobster Season When is it?

Travel 4 fun,

Throughout lobster season in the Gros Morne area, local churches have lobster suppers with lobsters, all you can eat salads and deserts. It is a fun experience and quite popular. Be on the lookout for advertising signs in any public area or ask at the Gros Morne National Park information Centre.

As an alternate, the Rocky Harbour Fish Market will cook lobsters to order.

Both of these lobster experiences are excellent, with the lobster cooked as it should be.

Vermont
Level Contributor
240 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lobster Season When is it?

Most lobster fishing areas in NL have opened in the past week. The season runs to the end of June, even sometimes into early July, different lengths in different places based upon the size of the catch. The price of lobster on the wharf is near $5 a pound. I agree with Steffie, go to a community lobster boil or get one steamed at a market. Don't wear a bib. Put on an expendable shirt and don't be delicate.

Have a great trip.

Jordan

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lobster Season When is it?

Try the Seaside Restaurant in Trout River.......always amazing food.

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lobster Season When is it?

Thanks so much everyone. We will eat lobster as many times a day as possible while we are there. Ha ha! Its such a treat for us.

I appreciate all the suggestions!