We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting southern Labrador and all of Newfoundland

London, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting southern Labrador and all of Newfoundland

We'll be visiting southern Labrador and all of Newfoundland, in the latter half of June, on a modest budget. I am hoping to find some beach glass and perhaps find a wee piece of labradorite, to take home as treasured souvenirs. Any advice on good places to search would be appreciated! I'd also like to know how and where to find a sand dollar (and maybe a starfish, although I don't know if I could actually touch one or pick one up!) What are they? Are they alive? How do you preserve them? I'm also hoping to photograph some icebergs, lighthouses, waterfalls and whales/wildlife. Any ideas on the best places to do so, would also be welcomed. (I've been to western Newfoundland once before, and absolutely loved it!!! I got some wonderful photos of the lighthouses as Woody Point, Port aux Basque, and Lobster Cove Head.) Do you think we'll be able to see any icebergs in the last half of June in either Newfoundland (along iceberg alley) or southern Labrador? What is the weather generally like and what are the average daily high and low temperatures in June? Are the northern lights visible? What are the black flies and mosquitoes like at that time of year? (We're hoping to camp, where possible.) Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,746 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting southern Labrador and all of Newfoundland

Welcome to the forums, Vicki H ~

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154962-i754-k5013…

The above thread, although for a different itinerary than yours, covers driving a rental car, or rather not driving a rental car, on the Trans Labrador Highway. If you are planning to drive your own car, check over the info on that thread carefully.

One of the best things you can do when planning a trip is to look at where the things are that you want to see and do. Those things are going to determine your itinerary and determine your driving time within your 14? days. You are on the correct forum for doing that. Look in the left sidebar and research "Things to Do." Newfoundland is much bigger than you think. You will need to prepare your trip well to make good use of those 2 weeks.

You should be able to see icebergs in the last half of June. And you will find it right chilly in some places when the fog rolls in off the ocean, so be prepared for times like that.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting southern Labrador and all of Newfoundland

Thank you for your reply. It was full of great advice!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting southern Labrador and all of Newfoundland

Have a look here which has a lot of information about Newfoundland:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g154962-c148987/New…

If you haven't already ordered a brochure (including accommodation listings) and map from the tourist board do so - see the link in the above. There is also a link for iceberg viewing and one for working out distances and driving times.

If you haven't already booked your hire car, do so now as there is only a limited number available on the island. Check that the hire company will allow you to take the car across to Labrador - many don't and also on any restrictions on use. Enterprise would let us travel as far as Red Bay but not beyond.

Edited: 08 February 2012, 16:48
London, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting southern Labrador and all of Newfoundland

Good to know about the car rental companies. Odd that they wouldn't let you take the car across or go beyond Red Bay. Thanks for your response! I appreciate your insight.

Edited: 08 February 2012, 17:43
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting southern Labrador and all of Newfoundland

On the not driving beyond Red Bay, it's gravel road beyond that point. Rental car contracts do not permit driving on gravel roads - too much opportunity for damage to the windshield or car body. (That issue arises out here on the BC forums from time to time as well.)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting southern Labrador and all of Newfoundland

That makes sense, I guess. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting southern Labrador and all of Newfoundland

All of Newfoundland eh? You must plan on spending the entire summer here :)

Beach glass cannot be removed from a beach, it's a $400 fine. It's actually enforced as well! Same goes for sanddollars and dried starfish. It's just a peeve of a lot of local people. If we can't go to your house and take your door knob should you be able to come to ours and take home our beach critters?

The best Labradorite comes from 10-mile Bay in Labrador. Be careful as 90% of the Labradorite for sale in Newfoundland actually comes from Brazil/Mexico. Labradorite from Labrador is very light mostly white with a small amount of grey and flecks of bright blue, there is NO green tint in Labrador Labradorite.

johnbetts-fineminerals.com/jhbnyc/…30335.jpg

Labradorite from other countries is very dark and has a green tint, when you tilt it you can see the blue sections but the blue green and black all blend together. 99.99% of the jewelery sold is from Mexico. Mexico labradorite jewelry is cheaply exported and you can find it in most stores, Labrador Labradorite has to be hand made, usually in Newfoundland and it is just too expensive for most stores to carry. Even if the clerk tells you it was made in NL, if is isn't light grey and expensive don't buy it.

crystalsrocksandgems.com/images/LAB-24.jpg

http://www.katekingjewellery.com/ProdImages/plabtri2stgd%20(Small).JPG

Yes, you should be able to see icebergs in Labrador and northern Newfoundland in June.

June is usually foggy, cool and wet, average low 6C, average high 16C.

No, you can typically only see the northern lights during winter, early as August, late as April.

Flies vary by area and temperature, if the weather warms up you may have flies but June is often a little too cool.

With proper gear you will enjoy camping in June. I usually find it too damp.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting southern Labrador and all of Newfoundland

Wow! You really know your stuff! Thank you for your knowledge!!! I had no idea it was illegal to take sand dollars or star fish...what about already empty sea shells?

(I guess I didn't mean all of Newfoundland, literally, when I mentioned travelling here, lol.. hoping to travel (with many stops and side trips along the way) from Port au Basque (Gros Morne, Woody Point) to L'Anse aux Meadows, to St. Barbe to Cartwright, back to St. Barbe, to St. John's downtown (via Twillingate and a few other stops and hikes along the way) to Trepassey, to Cape St. Mary's, then all the way back to Port aux Basque, with more stops along the way. So while not all of it, we hope to cover a fair amount of it!)

Do you know where there are any waterfalls or lighthouses to photograph (that aren't a gruelling hike, but rather easy to moderate?) I've got great shots of the lighthouses at Port aux Basque, Woody Point, Lobster Cove Head, and a neat old rusty one (at Cow Head, I think.) Alas, I did not see any waterfalls on my last visit and I am certain that there are many more lighthouses.

Thank you for your terrific and informative response! I really appreciate your knowledge and insight!

Edited: 11 February 2012, 00:53
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting southern Labrador and all of Newfoundland

One of the best waterfall is Rattling Brook, just beyond King's Point. This is a short drive off the Trans Canada on 391. Information here:

http://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/Reviews/index.cfm?v=City/Town/Region_Rattling_Brook_Waterfall_Trail_Canada~p3795r653pt7pst&fuseaction=pubReviews.dspProductReview

London, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting southern Labrador and all of Newfoundland

Thank you for your response and link. I will be sure to stop at the Rattling Brook Waterfall. It looks awesome! Thank you ever so much!

Get answers to your questions about Newfoundland and...