We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 day trip planning

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
14 day trip planning

Hello,

We will be traveling for 3 weeks next summer. Our trip will include 8 nights in Nova Scotia and 14 nights in Newfoundland. We are in the early stages of planning and currently plan to take the ferry to Port Aux Basque (RT), although we have debated about coming in from Argentia and going out Port Aux Basque or vice versa. We may take night sailings so as to not lose precious time. We don't want our trip to feel rushed and I know there is a LOT of driving involved, which we don't mind at all. We take a large road trip each year.

We do want to spend a chunk of time at Gros Morne. We are looking at spending 3 or 4 full days there , where we will also take the Western Boat tour , hike Gros Morne Mountain and a few smaller hikes. We have not yet decided if we will go all the way to St Anthony. Other than about the 5-6 nights that would cover Gros Morne (is that too many?), we are open for suggestions for our next 8. We would like to spend 2-3 nights in one place and to explore ..as well as avoiding packing and unpacking!

We are hikers (moderate difficulty),60 " ish", big into nature and landscape photography, love meeting the local residents.

I am looking for recommendations for great places to photograph, which little peninsulas are worth exploring..although I am sure they are all worth exploring. Must see places. I wish we had time to so some of the East Coast Trail.

I am reading all the trip reports and blogs to get ideas . Are there any spot-on travel guides that you might recommend?

We traveled to Alaska this summer and bought a book called the Milepost. It was a driving guide that pointed out all the landmarks in all the roads in Alaska.Is there a book like that for Newfoundland?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Placentia, Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 day trip planning

My main area of greater knowledge is the avalon peninsula region of the province....been all over the island though....There are so many places that are off the tourist radar here,also just as many on the radar too I spose :)

You have loads of time to plan so no rush!! What are your major must sees and do's?Should be able to help you out with some ideas...Feel free to message me private for more detailed directions to ccertain spots or things to do.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 day trip planning

Hello, Empty Sails... :-P

You wrote "I am looking for recommendations for great places to photograph". As mentioned elsewhere, the general rule is to turn off the highway and drive to the end of the road. Pretty much, you won't be disappointed. Our personal favourite area is the Bonavista Peninsula. It holds the Skerwink Trail, and it also has plenty of very nice, little places to visit. If I may, I highly recommend Captain Blackmore's Heritage Inn in Port Union as a base from which to explore the Bonavista Peninsula. If you come in June, you can trot over to Maberly to see the puffins in full force.

On the Avalon Peninsula, you'll find the East Coast Trail, which is fairly well regarded.

http://www.theskerwinktrail.com/

http://eastcoasttrail.ca/

Regards,

Filterpipe

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 day trip planning

I also recommend the Skerwink Trail near Trinity. Beautiful on a sunny day. To get a start on meeting the locals I would suggest staying at the Harbourview Bed & Breakfast. Albert and Florence are excellent hosts. Albert's great grandfather built the house in the 1800's, and at 75, Albert's children were the 5th generation to live there. Many other attractions in this area, and an easy opportunity to see puffins.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 day trip planning

Thank you for the tips!

We made a major first decision. We will ferry into Port Aux Basque , see the western peninsula and out Argentia.This will give us more time to explore the eastern side.

Will include Bonavista,Trinity , Skerwink trail(thanks for the links). Is Alexander Murray trail worth the overnight in the Kings Point?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
10,225 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 day trip planning

We took overnight ferries this summer between North Sydney and Port Aux Basques. That's because on this trip we were concentrating on the western side, going up to St.Anthony and L'Anse aux Meadows.

We got cabins both ways and it was definitely worthwhile. We got a decent night's sleep and we were off for an early driving start the next morning feeling fully refreshed. Someone on this forum advised us to go right to sleep when we got on board and that was good advice!

Edited: 01 September 2012, 20:32
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 day trip planning

Any plans to stay in St. John's,?

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,317 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 14 day trip planning

Some scenic drives around Corner Brook:

www.cornerbrook.com/default.asp?mn=1.22.78

I totally agree with the poster 5; cabins are essential....

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 14 day trip planning

Thank you..it makes so much sense to do the overnight sailing, "check".

We will spend the last 1 or 2 nights on the Avalon Peninsula. Not sure if it will be St John's or not. We tend to migrate away from commercial areas, but we'll see.

If we choose not to spend the last 2 nights in St Johns, what is the number one area in Avalon that you would choose to spend the at the end of your journey before boarding the ferry in Argentia ? St Mary's Cape looks great at this point as we would be very interested in the ecological reserve.

Edited: 02 September 2012, 10:00
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,317 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 14 day trip planning

You could check some videos on youtube or similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtiRAOoJB1E

This one is on Osprey Trail...

www.youtube.com/watch…

bunker tour...

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 14 day trip planning

Greetings from Oregon--you asked about the Alexander Murray Hiking Trail--I did it when I was there and really enjoyed it. Be prepared for a knee-burner :) Lots and lots of wooden steps up and down but it does go through several types of forests and places with magnificent views, and canyons and waterfalls. It wasn't easy (like the Skerwink Trail) but the good things never are :) Have fun and treasure your time there. hee hee, I'm sitting here right now in a small cafe in a town near my house in Oregon-someone nearby just mentioned "North Atlantic"-the waitress just came up and asked why I had a faraway smile on my face. (wonderful memories)

P.S. the picture in my avatar is Mt. Hood in Oregon----you'd like it here too.

Edited: 02 September 2012, 12:56