We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in St John's

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Concord, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in St John's

I am planning on coming to St. John's in June 2012, to do some genealogy research (my mother's parents came from Carbonear & Adam's Cove). Does anyone know of a car rental company that allows for unlimited miles? I am seeing 500 - 750 km limits per week with Avis & Hertz. As this will probably be my one & only trip here, I want to have the ability to cover a lot of ground - to see as much as I can.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in St John's

While you may be able to find one, I haven't heard of any car rental company in Newfoundland offering unlimited mileage. You might find one by calling around and booking really early, but I wouldn't count on it. I know that all the companies on the west side of the island only allow between 100 and 150 kms per day free, included with the rental. Perhaps you might find one in St. John's (if you're really lucky). Per km charges seem to range from 15 to 25 cents once over the "free" limit. This can add up quickly - 25 cents per km is almost criminal in my opinion.

It's a supply and demand thing. The rental companies can get away with it since there is very limited supply for cars and very high demand (especially between June and September).

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in St John's

Thanks, Gutch. Being accustomed to car rentals with unlimited mileage, learning of the restrictions is a bit of a shock! And there is so much I want to see in NL. Not only to gaze upon the sea that took many of my kin, but to meet the people who were so kind to thousands of strangers after 9/11 - and treated them like family.

I wonder.... I know June to Sept is NL's prime tourist season. But I can come anytime - I only want to avoid any chance of snow or icy roads (I get enough of that at home in New Hampshire!) - I prefer quieter, non-touristy times.

When would YOU suggest is a good time to spend there? Seeing an iceburg float by would be a thrill...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in St John's

September and October are pretty good months weather-wise but not normally for icebergs (although there are still some around this year). There wasn't any significant snow until January last winter so even November could be OK. The tourist season doesn't really begin much before June so May could be OK but many "tourist" places aren't really open then.

Personally, if you want a recommendation, I'd recommend August or September. That's when the weather is best, in my opinion. June is still fairly cold in many parts of Newfoundland and we've found it to be fairly rainy but you never really know here. If you don't like the weather, wait a half-hour, it will change, LOL!

Just for fun I checked a few more car rental websites for you from St. John's and I didn't find any that gave more than 200 kilometers per day included. There might be one, but I didn't find it.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in St John's

I may rethink when I will go. I've ALWAYS prefered September travel - nice weather, less crowded, kids in school. :) Thanks for your efforts!

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in St John's

We are here right now -last week of September 2011. We have travelled from Bay Roberts to Ferryland and had 200 km a day with Hertz, it has been enough for us. Weather is stupendous.

On the downside, many of the attractions are closed, and it was hard sometimes to even find a place to eat some days. There have also been times when the lack of crowds worked in our favor when looking for information or additional details.

Back to car rental - sign up with Priceline and wait for car rentals to be offered.

Edited: 27 September 2011, 19:56
Concord, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in St John's

Thanks for the tips. For at least one of my days there I'll be stationary doing research, so the milage limit might not be an issue (I hope). The cost per km over is pretty steep!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in St John's

We rented from Enterprise in September 2010 and were allowed 5400km for a month. This was a special internet rate. Otherwise it would have been 4800km.

Edited: 28 September 2011, 14:43
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental in St John's

EESW, if my math is correct Enterprise gave you 180 kms per day (30 days in September) instead of 160 kms per day. Checking their website they are currently allowing 200 kms per day for September and October so it wouldn't appear that they did you any favour (perhaps their allowed kms have increased since you rented? I was checking the airport location in St. John's).

sfm- best of luck!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental in St John's

May be not but it is still better than the 100-150km per day you were quoting earlier. We rented from Deer Lake on a one way hire to St John's.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental in St John's

Quite correct. Most places only allow 100-150 kms per day. Enterprise is about the only one that I've seen that offers 200 kms per day but perhaps that's only in the fall and not in the summer months.