We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in St John's

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Concord, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in St John's

I am planning on coming to St. John's in June 2012, to do some genealogy research (my mother's parents came from Carbonear & Adam's Cove). Does anyone know of a car rental company that allows for unlimited miles? I am seeing 500 - 750 km limits per week with Avis & Hertz. As this will probably be my one & only trip here, I want to have the ability to cover a lot of ground - to see as much as I can.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Car rental in St John's

For what it's worth (info 2 years old now), we rented with Avis for airport pickup and received unlimited mileage. We phoned the 1-800 number for Avis, and spoke to a "real person" about it when we were making our arrangements (terribly old-fashioned, I know). We also made our arrangements months and months before our trip. It was either when we picked it up or dropped it off, the counter person seemed surprised at the rate we had received.

As for the Newfoundland withdrawal mentioned by OE in post 14, I've found that you never really get over it. I suppose that's why I continue to monitor this forum and hope that there is another trip to Newfoundland in my future. As I keep telling people, it's a beautiful province with amazingly hospitable people.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Car rental in St John's

sfm - I have found hotels in NL to be generally more expensive that hotels in similarly-sized towns and cities on the mainland. It's a supply and demand thing.

I just booked a room, in central NL, at a rather non-descript, boring, run-of-the-mill hotel that I would have paid about $90 per night in a similar-sized town in Ontario. The "discounted rate" was $120 per night (plus HST) for the beginning of November. Another hotel I just booked (I travel a lot for work) in another small town was $132 plus HST. When you're the only game in town you can charge whatever you want. On the other hand, the hotels have expenses and upkeep 365 days a year even though they may only have a lot of guests for three months of the year. They have to make enough money to stay in business. I just wish more of them would do some reinvestment and updating. Maybe the rates are higher so they can do that?

If staying in St. John's be careful about what harbour view you book. Check one of my reviews in particular for a hotel on a particular hill overlooking St. John's harbour. It's not someplace I will ever stay again.

St. John's, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Car rental in St John's

Enterprise Rent A Car 709-738-3328,

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Car rental in St John's

Gutch - what date did you post that review that you speak of (so I can find it)?

And thanks, firstmate. Will check them.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Car rental in St John's

Gutch - never mind - I found it (if it rhymes with rattery). Thanks for the heads up.

Pecatonica, Illinois
Level Contributor
100 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Car rental in St John's

My husband and I had two weeks of unlimited mileage from Avis this last August. We also, from Illinois, called Avis. I asked the question, "What can I do to get unlimited mileage?" The gentlemen gave us a few cases where unlimited mileage could be booked. Amazingly, having a VFW or Legion number if you have served in the military gave us unlimited mileage as well as 25% off. We drove over 4,000 km so this was a huge, huge benefit. Try calling Avis direct. We had an engine light go on with our car, and they actually had an agent come into the Gander Airport so we could get a replacement! They were amazing, and the cheaper price without km restrictions made us able to really see sights around the whole province. Yes, I too can hardly wait to go back!!!!

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Car rental in St John's

I'm renting from Enterprise, off airport (on Kenmount Rd) - very close to my hotel. UNLIMITED miles. Yea!

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Car rental in St John's

sfm---hi again :)

I went to Newfoundland last September----had unlimited mileage through Enterprise----but not at the airport-take their shuttle out to the Kenmount Rd location. Have fun-you will love it :)

Haha-that's funny sfm-I just posted this while you were saying exactly that :) good job .

Edited: 07 February 2012, 19:51
Concord, New...
Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Car rental in St John's

Good timing, eh?

30. Re: Car rental in St John's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 08:16