We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving NL by sea?? Possible??

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
694 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving NL by sea?? Possible??

Hi all, My wife and I are planning a cross country trip next summer by motorbike. Ending in St John's. I would like to visit part of the US eastern seaboard as well for a few days. I was thinking what would be ideal would be to hop on a ferry or cruise liner in St.John's to NYC, spend a few days there, then fly my wife home to Calgary, and I would marathon back on the bike.

So my question is, are there ships we could take from St.John's to one of the US cities, Boston or NY for example. I know there are cruise lines that stop in St John's as part of their itinerary but I don't think it's possible to join a cruise of one segment of it's journey, but if you know different please let me know. :)

Thanks.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,539 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving NL by sea?? Possible??

Hi Kevinl33;

I would suggest posting your question on the "Cruises" forum as well, which is here on TA;

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.h…

You might also consider posting your question on TripAdvisor's sister site, CruiseCritic.com

Best Regards

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
694 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving NL by sea?? Possible??

Those are good suggestions, I did that. Also posted on the NYC forum.

Vermont
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving NL by sea?? Possible??

A couple years ago I met a guy in Rose Blanche who worked part of the year on a ship that delivered ore to Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Don't remember any details but you might also try looking at freighter travel sites. There use to be a cargo ship that ran back and forth from Montreal to Corner Brook. I know that's not what you're looking for but perhaps there are similar possibilities between St. John's and the east coast of the US.

My first visit to NL was on a motorcycle and the roads were wonderful to ride on. And let me be the first of many to tell you to watch out for moose.

Have a great trip.

Jordan

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving NL by sea?? Possible??

Hi Kevinl33,

Welcome to the ST JOHN'S TRAVEL FORUM

Indeed as BNIMO has said you may have to think outside the box on this one (doubtful that a Cruise Ship out of the USA would pick you up and take you onto an New England Port / Debarkation point... just TOO MANY issues these days with US Customs & Homeland Security)

BUT the idea of Freighter Traffic might prove out to be a good one...

Here then a link to TA's Sister Website CRUISE CRITIC and their *Freighter and Other Non-Traditional Cruise Travel* Board = boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... If any of this does pan out for you... PLEASE do come back to this FORUM and give us an UPDATE (or even a Trip Report) would LOVE to hear all about your various Maritime Adventures.

St. John's
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving NL by sea?? Possible??

Your ferry option in NL is Port au Basques to North Sydney, NS.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,434 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving NL by sea?? Possible??

... or Argentia to North Sydney:

marine-atlantic.ca/eng/route-advisories.asp

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving NL by sea?? Possible??

You're planning for the summer months so you do have a choice of leaving from either Port-aux-Basques or Argentia, but before mid-June and after late-September the ferry to/from Argentia doe not run. It also only runs three days per week, each direction, when it is running.

From Marine Atlantic's website:

"Annual Ferry Schedule

Marine Atlantic offers a daily ferry service between Port aux Basques, Newfoundland and Labrador and North Sydney, Nova Scotia. From mid-June to late September, Marine Atlantic also offers a tri-weekly ferry service between Argentia, Newfoundland and Labrador and North Sydney, Nova Scotia."

Placentia, Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving NL by sea?? Possible??

The only ferries that you got a choice of only goes to sidney ns via pab or arg.Or as we says "no kit n ta boudel atall"

9. Re: Leaving NL by sea?? Possible??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 14:16