We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency exchange

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carlisle, PA
Level Contributor
47 posts
234 reviews
Save Topic
Currency exchange

My wife and I are planning a trip to St. John's from Pennsylvania this summer. I think I read somewhere that there is no currency exchange at the airport. Are ATMs the way to go, or is there a better recommended way to handle money exchange?

Placentia, Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency exchange

The ground floor in the lounge area has an atm...cibc I think,but no currency exchange wicket.There are a number of banks within a short drive of the airport that will exchange money and is proably the best way to go.The atms have a charge on use that can add up.

Like I said there are banks all within a 5-15 min drive depending on which bank you prefer.(the taxi drivers outside the entrance are a GREAT help if asked)

Carlisle, PA
Level Contributor
47 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency exchange

Thanks for the reply. I'm nervous about banks, as we ran into trouble in western Canada finding a bank that would exchange money if you were not a customer. One finally did it against policy as a favor. No similar problems in Newfoundland?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency exchange

Changing money is never free. Although ATM charges can add up, you can minimize these by making fewer, larger withdrawals and sticking to major banks' ATMs (rather than privately-operated "white label" ATMs). You could well get a better overall deal that way than walking into a bank branch with US cash, and it's definitely more convenient.

If there's a CIBC ATM at the airport, that'd be my choice. (If you're a TD Bank customer, you'd want to look for one of theirs, or if you're a Bank of America customer you'd want to look for a Scotiabank ATM.)

Canada's big banks operate from coast to coast (and are federally regulated) so I wouldn't expect much difference in policies between Western Canada and Newfoundland.

Placentia, Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency exchange

I've often had currency exchanged at a different bank other than my own but then again I am local so....I was just thinking on what would be the cheapest route for you to go.

However,most small shops have atm these days so no matter which way you go there shouldn't be much trouble.(in the outports its usually the gas bars that have the atms)

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency exchange

Hi, Birdguy---

First off, congratulations on your decision to visit the rock. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with banks in Western Canada-I've traveled quite a bit in BC, Alberta &Yukon and never experienced that-guess I was lucky.

Now, I feel I should warn you, though about something I experienced just last September while touring Newfoundland-----the smaller towns that do not have banks and only ATM's----they operate on cards that have chips in them----U. S. cards don't have that-----you'll have to depend on the banks in slightly larger towns. No problems there whatsoever.

Have fun-----you will love it!!!!

Placentia, Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency exchange

oregonexplore...

everyone loves our rock in the sea,but its a place that you need to experience more than one,two,twenty times :) so make sure that you returns soon k?

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency exchange

you bet I will, TAT : )

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Gros Morne National Park
Level Contributor
665 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency exchange

Most banks on a walk up basis are around a 3% discount off the closing rate the day before. The closing today is 1 US dollar you get 0.998 CAD minus the 3% so around 96-97 cents canadian for every US dollar.Banks in Newfoundland will exchange on a walk up basis with out a issue but when you do exchange do enough to get you through as a lot of towns dont have banks and you might end up driving around looking. Credit cards and debit cards are another good way depending on your card or just use it when you run low on cash.I would look for Brand name ATM from the banks not private this will also save you money. Hope you have a great time

Edited: 23 February 2012, 16:45
Fletchers Lake, NS
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency exchange

If you don't want to pay for ATM transaction fees, why don't you bring American Express travellers cheques with you from PA?

This is kind of an old fashion way, but we travel extensively down in the US and always take travellers cheques with us.

Most businesses will cash them but also you can walk into any Canadian bank and they will gladly exchange them into cash.

Our major banks here are RBC, TD, Scotiabank, CIBC and guaranteed they will cash them without charges.

Another thought would be to open an account with TD bank in the US - the nearest branch would be in the Philly area and then you would have a client card that would be recognized here in Canada.

www.tdbank.com/net/absearch/default.aspx

But if it was me I would go with the Amex travellers cheques.

…americanexpress.com/dsmlive/…

10. Re: Currency exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:42