We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Louisbourg to Halifax on Hwy 7

Florida
Level Contributor
123 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Louisbourg to Halifax on Hwy 7

I see that the drive from Louisbourg to Halifax can take about 5 hours if you travel on 104 to 102, but I am wondering how long it would take to drive 104 to 7 and going along the coast. Also, would it be a scenic drive to take Hwy 7?

Thanks!

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Louisbourg to Halifax on Hwy 7

Highway 7 is very scenic with lots of things to see/visit and some great beaches. Here's a website devoted to it, with pictures:

http://www.highway7.com/

Florida
Level Contributor
123 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Louisbourg to Halifax on Hwy 7

That is an amazing site, and I will spend lots of time today reading through all of it ~ thank you! And it says that it takes "barely 6 hours" to drive it, so it looks we could do it.

The thing is, we will be driving from Cape North to Louisbourg, sightseeing along the way....spending the night at the Cranberry Inn & touring the fort in the morning before taking that drive on Highway 7. I know it will be a long day, but we don't mind arriving in Halifax late at night. (not Halifax,actually, it's Inn on the Lake by the Airport for our stop.)

I hope this will work out! This will be the end of our 16 day trip around Nova Scotia.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Louisbourg to Halifax on Hwy 7

froamp,

I would be very cautious with the times for the Hwy 7 option. Minimium driving time from Sydney to Halifax via Hwy 7 is 6 hours, not counting any stops for anything (and I normally go at least the speed limit, often +10). This is with taking Hwy 4 then 104 in Cape Breton then the Trans Canada to Antigonish and then down Hwy 7 to Sherbrooke Village. Add another 30 minutes from Louisbourg to Sydney. The MINIMUM time you will get away with at Fortress Louisbourg is 3 hours. Most of our guests spend the entire day there and some go back for a second day. Louisbourg is similar in scale to Virginia's Colonial Williamsburg. With breakfast at Cranberry Ciove you will be pushing it to get to the opening of the Fortress at 9 and I doubt you will get out before 12. You will have a very long day.

Cheers

Florida
Level Contributor
123 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Louisbourg to Halifax on Hwy 7

Thank you pfound....we decided to spend an extra day in Louisbourg, so that will give us a full day to drive from Louisbourg to our next stop in Fall River. (and more time to explore the fortress). We are spending the two days prior to Cranberry Cove Inn at Oakwood Manor in Cape North, and we are looking forward to that!

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Louisbourg to Halifax on Hwy 7

Hi again Frogger,

Pfound from Sydney is absolutely right about Route 7. Many parts of it feature fine ocean scenery, but if time is a factor you'll find that that it will take a lot longer than the freeway. The top average speed you could hope for on Rt. 7 is 40 mph (compared to 70 mph on the 104 and 102 freeways). That's with no dawdling along the way, and passing slower cars whenever you can.

The 7 goes through numerous villages along the way, and in each the speed slows to 30 mph. Unless you have the time to savor it, you'll probably find it a hectic way to accomplish what you should be doing on the freeway.

If indeed you want to follow Nova Scotia's Marine Drive from Cape Breton (and have the luxury of time), don't limit yourself to Route 7. Take Route 344 from the Canso Causeway and then Rt. 316 and Rt. 211 through the far east of Guysborough County, along with the Country Harbor ferry. It joins up with the 7 at Sherbrooke.

This sparsely populated corner of Nova Scotia looks like the rest of the province used to, in the days before development and spiraling property values for ocean-front real estste changed its character forever.

Add Rt. 344, 316 and 211 to the list of hidden treasures of Nova Scotia that-didn't-make-the-guide-books.

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Florida
Level Contributor
123 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Louisbourg to Halifax on Hwy 7

I think my husband wanted to see Canso along the way, so maybe we could take the "off the beaten path" roads you mentioned, and just take Hwy 7 to Sheeets Harbour, then 224 into Fall River. Would that save some time so that we could meander around the first part of the trip?

Thanks for all your guidance!

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Louisbourg to Halifax on Hwy 7

You might want to forego the 224 and continue on Hwy 7 to Musquodoboit Harbour and the 357 to the 224 at Middle Musquodoboit and then to Fall River. There is not a lot to see on the route you plan except for farms and woodlots. The route I mentioned gives you the option to stop at River Oaks Golf Course just before Meaghers Grant for a snack and beverage and a wonderful view over the course.

Florida
Level Contributor
123 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Louisbourg to Halifax on Hwy 7

My husband was thinking he would see crashing waves....

So you are saying that it is not very scenic?

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Louisbourg to Halifax on Hwy 7

The 224 will take you inland, whereas, if you follow Hwy 7 to Musquodoboit Harbour the drive will be along the harbours. As for crashing waves, Clam Harbour Beach near Lake Charlotte and Martinique Beach near Musquodoboit harbour would be your best bet. There are dedicated surfers who ride the waves year round.

If you want liesurely, there are places to overnight in Sherbrooke and Sheet Harbour.

10. Re: Louisbourg to Halifax on Hwy 7

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 12:16