We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

digby neck/basalt shoreline

Lethbridge
Level Contributor
200 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
digby neck/basalt shoreline

Roughing in our "want to do's" for our September trip and need info on time to allow for a day trip from Annapolis Royal to Digby Neck. Interest is mostly in scenery and seeing basalt formations along the shoreline (other than balancing rock). Recommendations on the best place to see these rock formations without walking any major distance. Not doing whale watching, just interested is seeing Digby and Digby Neck region.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: digby neck/basalt shoreline

Hi there, I have seen it only by kayaking, but the Brier Island coast has a lot of organ pipe basalt cliffs. The most impressive, near Westport Harbour at Big Cove. Here you have 100ft high basalt cliffs. The basalt is in six sided columns, which through the freeze - thaw cycle, and erosion has produced a organ pipe formation that is very unique. As I mentioned, I have only kayaked there, but since it is close to the main village on Brier, I would assume a trail would lead to it - its within 2 km of the village, heading south east. Ask the locals for detailed directions. Much, Much more impressive than the balancing rock.

The most impressive rock formations in the province, in a amazing landscape of basalt, rhyolite and diabase dykes carved by the highest tides on earth of the upper Bay of Fundy can be found in the Advocate Harbour/Cape d'Or/Cape Chignecto area, especialy in the Three Sisters area.

Lethbridge
Level Contributor
200 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: digby neck/basalt shoreline

Thanks Kayak - that helps and we will ask locals. Unfortunately time doesn't allow for us to get to Advocate Harbour - googled it & looks like it would be incredible! Another time!

Still would appreciate any input to my original post from those who know! Along with any suggestions of 'must see' spots along the way to Brier Island. Have come to the conclusion we're looking at a 6 hour day trip, minimum, skipping balancing rock, and if we hit the ferries right. I have some minor mobility issues and can't see myself doing the steps to balancing rock- my consideration in getting to any place we can view the rock cliffs.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: digby neck/basalt shoreline

Sorry, but I'm not that familiar with the Digby area to advise, but perhaps Blondie could help??

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: digby neck/basalt shoreline

...and kayakdover, this is exactly why the other posters on here are irritated with you. canadabeacher is asking a question about the Digby area, and you try to hijack it and send them to your town.

Give it a rest will ya?

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: digby neck/basalt shoreline

Part of this, or cgrenos post has nothing to do with this thread. cgreno, if you read my reply, it was about what the poster was looking for, as indicated in their reply. The offer of another option should be no problem as the Advocate Harbour area is known for the type of formations being sought, some that are easily driven to. (Although some of it is pillow type, vice the columnar) So it is appropriate to let them know that. If you know of some good basalt formations, other than those I noted in the Digby area, at Brier Island, that are easily accessed perhaps you could let the poster know, regardless of where they are, as they might interest her/him.

It would be nice if someone could come up with a better suggestion for this poster to find the basalt formation on Brier, I have described where to find them as seen from a kayak, just uncertain if there is a land trail to them, but I imagine there would be...

cgreno, if you have a personal problem with my posts please let me know personally by mail as I dont believe these posts are really for that when the personl option is available.

Lethbridge
Level Contributor
200 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: digby neck/basalt shoreline

I don't want to get into a spat here, but I want to say that I did appreciate Kayak's response to my question, and certainly didn't feel that I was being 'hijacked'. Any information regarding my subject, whatever it may be or wherever it may be found, is interesting and I'll decided what to do with the information from there. That's what this forum is all about, imo!

We will ask locals when we get there, but kinda nice to have an idea ahead of time so we can plan around that info. So still would appreciate any input from those who know. Before this topic is closed due to conflict! :)

7. Re: digby neck/basalt shoreline

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 December 2009, 18:36
8. Re: digby neck/basalt shoreline

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 00:18