We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is the best time of year for Whale Watching?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
When is the best time of year for Whale Watching?

and where is the best area to go whale watching?

Halifax
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: When is the best time of year for Whale Watching?

Hello Sunryz710, this is Glenn from Nova Scotia Tourism.

The best time of the year for whale watching is anytime between July and mid-October. Although I have heard with changing weather patterns seem to be changing this in some areas.

There are generally two main areas of whale watching in Nova Scotia.

In southern Nova Scotia the Digby Neck area and in the north western Cape Breton.

Each of these areas offer different experiences and to find which would fit you best try novascotia.com and http://tinyurl.com/y8chwx8

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is the best time of year for Whale Watching?

Hi sunryz, the best area to head for watching the large Baleen whales is the Bay of Fundy's Digby Neck to Brier Island. A good resource for the operators in that area is at the Bay of Fundy Recommended Experiences at www.bayoffundytourism.com As mentioned, July - mid October is the best time.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is the best time of year for Whale Watching?

Hi Sunryz710,

The best area for whalewatching in Nova Scotia is in the Brier Island area beyond Digby. The rich feeding grounds at the mouth of the Bay of Fundy attracts several types in the summer. The humpbacks are the most exciting to watch; also the once rare Atlantic Right Whale has been making a comeback. I would suggest later summer as a good time due that there is usually less fog by then & more whale sightings.

There are several tours to choose from; here's one that has been in business many years & does research.

www.brierislandwhalewatch.com

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is the best time of year for Whale Watching?

Hello "

Yes i agree with the others, Brier island is the very best !

I have taken several tours and late July and August seem to be the most successful with less to no fog. I have been lucky on the days I chose to go having clear weather for the best viewing. As mentioned many operators offer the tours, many with gaurantees as well. The humpbacks will make your trip out, they are very playful and come near and sometimes directly under the boats.. My favourite are the zodiacs tours but this is for the more thrill seeking types, very exciting !

www.brierisland.com

regards,

blondie*

5. Re: When is the best time of year for Whale Watching?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 03:17