We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asking advice for a trip in NS, PEI and New Brunswick

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Asking advice for a trip in NS, PEI and New Brunswick

Hello NS experts,

Background: We had enjoyed memorable trips in such places as the Canadian Rockies, the Pacific Rim, Norway Fjords, and other amazing places in the world and we are looking for that kind of excitement in this area.

I would like to ask for your kind advice for a trip in the area of NS, PEI, etc at end of July: what are the key places that will attract us, what are the best itineraries, etc.

We only have 8 days net + first evening and last morning in Halifax and we are motorized (but can take short flights for faster connections)

I appreciate your help

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asking advice for a trip in NS, PEI and New Brunswick

Some wonderful places you have been exploring, looking at that list high on your agenda are places of amazing natural beauty. Having grown up on the west coast and now living in Nova Scotia, operating a outdoor adventure business, from the perspective of the best of the natural beauty of Nova Scotia, I would recommend this: Head to Brier Island for a couple of days to do the whale watching, which is what attracts tourists to that region - but also staying on the Island for at least a day to explore beyond the whale watching in what is known as the Fundy aquarium ecozone. Brier Island Lode has a good site to investigate for what there is to explore in the area. www.brierislannd.com

After Brier Island I would head to the worlds highest tides and sea cliffs and fossils ecozone of the Bay of Fundy for a couple days. Here the tides reach twice the height as in the Brier Island region, but no whales. The attraction here, especially around Cape Chignecto/Cape d'Or is the largest and wildest provincial park inn the province, the hiking trails, beaches and of course those huge tides and what they do to the geology of the area where they meet the highest sea cliffs on mainland Nova Scotia. The 3-4 day coastal trail at Cape Chignecto has been compared to the Pacific Rims west coast trail for its rugged, unique beauty. But there are many shorter trails, to stunning vistas overlooking the rugged coast. Its the area of the province that reminds me the most of the west coast of Vancouver Island before tourism became so big out there. Back when it was a difficult gravel road for access and Tofino and Ucluelet were tiny fishing and logging towns. Back when a guy coming in with a kayak was a real oddity! Its a paved road into Advocate Harbour, the small fishing village that hosts the attractions mentioned, but its off the well used tourist routes and retains its small maritime fishing village feel. Some resources:

www.capechignecto.net

www.capedor.ca

www.fundyfun.com

www.driftwoodparkretreat.com

Then there is the Cape Breton Highlands Park, and north from there to Meat Cove. The park is a big attraction in Nova Scotia, offering a lot of nice day hikes. www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ns/cbreton/index.aspx Meat Cove is a wild, beautiful spot at the tip of Cape Breton - it is a gravel road in but worth taking.

With only eight days I think Nova Scotia will keep you busy. PEI is great if you are into beaches, being primarily a rural farming area, with the best place for nature to check out being the national park on the north shore, which has some great beaches and interesting dunes - but it is a extremely busy, touristy place in the summer.

Edited: 10 April 2012, 12:47
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,667 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asking advice for a trip in NS, PEI and New Brunswick

The Bay of Fundy is unique so I agree to go whale watching and check out the Fundy shore from Parrsboro to Joggins, and including Advocate Harbour.

Other special areas are (1) the south shore of the Atlantic from Halifax going at least as far as Lunenburg. Here you have rugged rocky shores interspersed with sandy beaches; (2) Cape Breton

With the time you have you could see the Bay of Fundy and a bit of one of the others.

Check here for our visitors' guide and start looking at other posts.

www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Asking advice for a trip in NS, PEI and New Brunswick

Thanks very much Maryann and Kayakdover for your fast and detailed answers. I do not kayak by the way. I am still on the “figuring out what not to do” stage. I am not sure yet if time will allow me to include Briar Island as it is a very long drive.

I have two more questions:

The Fundy NP on New Brunswick is highly recommended by Fromer’s. How it is in comparison to the side of the Bay of Fundy you recommended?

Former’s recommends a side drive via Bras d’Or lake (one of three segments: Iona-Barrachois, St. Peter’s-Dundee or east side on route 4). Is any of these segments worthy the detour when driving from Halifax to Cheticamp?

thanks

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asking advice for a trip in NS, PEI and New Brunswick

Fundy National Park is a pretty park, great trails and some neat features like being able to rent Yurts to stay in. Comparing it to the Cape Chignecto Park, Cape Chignecto is a wilder experience. Designed initially as a wilderness park for hikers, with the tough coastal trail being the highlight. But recently Chignecto has put in easier trails that can be done in a day, or even a couple of hours. Cape Chignecto has a more rugged and interesting coastline to explore with the added attraction of places like the Three Sisters that you can take in from the cliff tops. They do have some basic cabins that can be rented, that you hike into. The day hike from Eatonville to Seal Cove would be in my opinion the best coastal hike in eastern Canada. I know you are not kayakers, but to get a idea of what Cape Chignecto is like, take a look at this article written by Scott Cunningham, a well know adventure writer http://www.coastaladventures.com/CapChig.html

For a more civilized experience the Fundy Park would be the best bet - with organized events etc. In Cape Breton I would head to Cheticamp and north, thinking of your looking for the kind of excitement you mention in your original post.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,667 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asking advice for a trip in NS, PEI and New Brunswick

Everywhere in Cape Breton is beautiful. So it depends upon how much time you have.

You could drive in, going up the west coast, continue on around the Cabot Trail and then add the loup around Bras D'Or going on to Louisbourg and then head back to the mainland via Big Pond.

http://g.co/maps/ha54w

However you would want several days to do this and you would have to give up seeing much of the rest of Nova Scotia.

6. Re: Asking advice for a trip in NS, PEI and New Brunswick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:15