We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need your help please!

Mooresville, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Need your help please!

I have been reading your forums for a while and already have several ideas, I would now like your input. My husband and I are flying into Portland, ME on July 21. We will be renting car and staying a couple nights with relatives. (already verified with rental car ok to travel to Canada). Here is where I need help.

July 23 - leaving early and driving to Saint John's NB catching ferry at 4 pm for Digby. Stay in Digby overnight.

July 24 - whale watching is priority. Also interested in Fort Royal and Fort Ann National sites. If time small hike to balancing rock. Leave for Halifax.

July 25 - Halifax

July 26 - leave Halifax afternoon for drive to CB

July 27 - CB

July 28 - CB

July 29 - finish wish list of CB then drive to Bay of Fundy

July 30 - Bay of Fundy

July 31 - finish up Bay of Fundy and start drive back to Maine staying night in ? Bar Harbor or Boothbay Harbor.

August 1 - leave in evening to return to NC and work ugh

We are in our 40's like history, unique shops and B&B's. Interested in some hiking, possible kayaking and the beach is not important to us. We know this is not enough time to see and do everything, but we would like a taste of each area.

Questions:

Is it better to stay in Halifax or Dartmouth. If Dartmouth can you get to best areas of Halifax without car.

How should I divide time in CB all in one place and take day trips or split up. Things that we would like to do are Skyline Trail, Alexander Bell Museum and Fortress of Louisbourg.

Any comments and info are appreciated. Is this even doable? Thanks in advance

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,967 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need your help please!

Here is a bit of a map for you. I am assuming you want to see the Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia. If you prefer New Brunswick you can ignore the part through Parrsboro to Advocate Harbour (great place to kayak and see the tides) to Joggins.

http://goo.gl/maps/zzxzL

If you stay within walking distance of the Dartmouth to Halifax ferry you can see Halifax without a car but you have allowed time for just a short peek. Be sure to walk along the waterfront and with your interests, visit Citadel Hill.

For Cape Breton your time is limited. I would stay one or two nights on the west coast (whale watching, hiking, sunsets) and the rest in Baddeck. You will want to see Fortress Louisbourg for sure and allow at least half a day for that.

Please come back with more questions.

Mooresville, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need your help please!

Thanks so much for your map. Even though I have spending hours pouring over Internet and books it is still overwhelming. I think that is half the fun.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need your help please!

You mention you are interested in B&Bs.

Annapolis Royal, which is on your list of stops, is home to several wonderful B&Bs including the Queen Anne Inn http://www.queenanneinn.ns.ca/ and the Bailey House http://www.baileyhouse.ca/gallerya.htm to name just two!

If, you are interested, on your way back home, you may want to consider staying just across the border in Calais Maine, at the Greystone B&B http://www.greystonecalaisme.com/ built in 1840, in the Greek Revival style. This is one of our favorite stops to and from the U.S. and we already have our reservations made for this summer! Candace's breakfasts are not to be missed. This way, you are not going out of your way to Bar Harbor for one night's stay, which would add time to your travels. The road to Bar Harbor can be very congested during the summer months.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need your help please!

There are many B&Bs & Inns in Nova Scotia with interesting histories. Sometimes the descendants of the original owners are the present day B&B operators.

In the Annapolis Royal area, A Seafaring Maiden B&B in Granville Ferry (www.aseafaringmaiden.com), has a great story & great owners!

For more B&Bs with historical roots, please check www.nsbedandbreakfast.com, the website of the Nova Scotia Bed & Breakfast Association, to find licensed/inspected B&Bs all around our province.

5. Re: Need your help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 00:17