We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pictou vs. Antigonish for Lunch / hanging out

United States
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
136 reviews
Pictou vs. Antigonish for Lunch / hanging out

We will be driving from Halifax to Cheticamp and want to have lunch and spend an hour hanging out/walking around, etc in a cool town in between.

I initially noticed Antigonish, but then found Pictou which appears to only be about 20 minutes "out of the way".

Would Pictou be a more picturesque lunch spot?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,241 posts
172 reviews
1. Re: Pictou vs. Antigonish for Lunch / hanging out

Yes Pictou has a waterfront, but I like Gabrieaus' in Antigonish for food.

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Pictou vs. Antigonish for Lunch / hanging out

Pictou has a interesting waterfront, especially with the ship Hector there. I found the little lobster hatchery interesting also, neat to find out about these fascinating - and tasty creatures. There are a couple of fairly good restaurants for lunch just across from the Hector. Only drawback with Pictou is the nearby pulp mill - but with the wind blowing in the right direction it is a nice waterfront for a break.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Pictou vs. Antigonish for Lunch / hanging out

Pictou has a lovely waterfront area. Besides touring the Hector Heritage Quay, you could tour Grohmann's Knives Factory, a longtime local business. In that same area is Mrs. MacGregor's Tea Room & Restaurant (www.mrsmacgregors.com) . If you like shortbread cookies, you will be happy you stopped there!

United States
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
136 reviews
4. Re: Pictou vs. Antigonish for Lunch / hanging out

It sounds wonderful. But now I am worried about being hit in the face by pulp mill. Maybe it isn't really that bad. Just saw it in a post a few up.

thanks for your replies

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Pictou vs. Antigonish for Lunch / hanging out

The pulp mill is within sight of the waterfront, but unless the wind is blowing in towards it you won't notice it much. But then again, if the wind is blowing into that shore.... For a stop though I do think its worth it - the Hector is very well done. In my view, If it wasn't for the mill the town would be a very interesting tourist destination, but then if there wasn't the mill perhaps there wouldn't be the town as it does supply employment.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,241 posts
172 reviews
6. Re: Pictou vs. Antigonish for Lunch / hanging out

The wind is usually is blowing the smell away. The other thing is that after very few minutes you don't smell it any more.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
7. Re: Pictou vs. Antigonish for Lunch / hanging out

Antigonish is a University town without pulp mill, and some great spots to eat also more the half way mark and only 5mins from highway.

Antigonish, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
51 reviews
8. Re: Pictou vs. Antigonish for Lunch / hanging out

You could lunch in Antigonish and take the road around Cape George and continue on West from there. Called the mini Cabot Trail.

United States
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
136 reviews
9. Re: Pictou vs. Antigonish for Lunch / hanging out

I am not familiar with that route. That is worth checking out. What is the highway number / name?

United States
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
136 reviews
10. Re: Pictou vs. Antigonish for Lunch / hanging out

I am trying to figure out how much time this "mini cabot trail" would add to the entire trip from Halifax to Cheticamp? We are planning to have lunch in Antigonish. Is there just a portion of the trail we could take without adding too much time? Any suggestions would be appreciated.