We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 4 days

NY
Level Contributor
775 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for 4 days

There looks to be so many places on the Cabot Trail that I am interested in. Some of them are.

Cape Breton Highlands National Park

Alexander Graham Bell Museum

Fortress Louisbourg National Historic Site

Two Rivers Wildlife Park

Please let me know if I am missing anything and if you recommend a central hotel location that would make driving manageable or if it may be best to stay in one location 2 nights and a different location 2 nights.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for 4 days

My recommendation would be to spend two nights each in two different places. If you stay in one place only you end up doing an inordinate amount of driving. My recommendation would be something like this:

Day 1 - typically guests are arriving from somewhere off Island the first night. I would recommend driving right to Sydney and spending two nights there. It is central to all the attractions on the eastern side of the Island including the Fortress of Louisbourg, the Cape Breton Miner's Museum and Two Rivers Wildlife Park. If you arrive early enough on the first day you could visit the Cape Breton Miner's Museum in Glace Bay in the late afternoon. This isn't one of the places you mentioned but many of our guests consider it the highlight of their trip.

Day 2 - The next day I would visit Two Rivers Wildlife Park in the morning and then the Fortress of Louisbourg in the afternoon. (If you feel pushed for time, the one attraction I would consider eliminating would be the wildlife park.) Most of our guests spend the entire day at the fortress. The minimum time you want to get anything out of it is 4 hours. To get the idea of the scope I would compare it somewhat to Virginia's Colonial Wiliamsburg. I would recommend eating supper in the Town of Louisbourg and then attending the 2 hour show of Cape Breton music and comedy at the Louisbourg Playhouse before returning to your accommodations in Sydney for the second night.

Day 3 - Leave Sydney to travel the Cabot Trail. On the way nip into the Village of Baddeck to visit the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site (Museum). Two hours is reasonable at the Bell Museum. Continue around the Cabot Trail. I would recommend staying either in Cape North at the north east corner of the Island or Cheticamp at the north west corner. To put time/distance in perspective, driving time from Sydney to Cape North is 2 1/2 hours with no stops, driving time Sydney to Cheticamp is 3 1/2 hours. The benefit of Cheticamp over Cape North is that there is more infrastructure (restaurants, craft shops, museum, etc) there. There is virtually nothing in Cape North but a restaurant and a small museum. In Cape North I would recommend Oakwood Manor B&B. In Cheticamp I would recommend Pilot Whale B&B. You can find both of them on the Nova Sotia Bed & Breakfast Association web site at www.nsbedandbreakfast.com. All B&Bs in the Association sign a Code of Ethics and are committed to providing excellent hospitality and a good guest experience. If you stay for two nights in either Cape North or Cheticamp you can easily see the Park, go whale watching (out of Pleasant Bay is the best) or do any number of hikes.

Day 4 - stay in whatever area you have chosen and explore the Park.

Day 5 - Depart Cape Breton

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for 4 days

That is very good advise pfound. I would also skip the wildlife park. It is a small park that may take an hour or so to go through and it is a long drive from Louisbourg.(45 min approx.)

Creighton...
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for 4 days

We are staying in Marion Bridge and Louisburg was about 20 minutes. Take Highway #22 from Lousiburg and turn onto Trout Brook Road. follow it to Gabarus Hwy, then right over the Marion Bridge. turn left at the sign and 10 km to Wildlife Park. Went there a couple of days ago, and having been to many zoos and animal parks, it was refreshing to see a place build around the surroundings rather than through them.

Moira

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for 4 days

Perfect route.(forgot about that way) I am glad you enjoyed the park. I hope you enjoyed your stay and please come again sometime.

5. Re: Itinerary for 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island