We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cottages for rent

Petersfield, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Cottages for rent

My husband, son and I will be travelling to Cape Breton next July/August. We hope to stay in an oceanfront cottage for a week whilst there. Haven't got any firm plans at the moment, but would like to stay in a place that is on the ocean, with great views (would like to be able to see some activity eg fishing boats etc from the cottage, and step out onto a beach easily) and would also like to be able to explore the Cabot Trail whilst we are there. Having done a search on this forum, I see a number of people have enjoyed their stay in Neils Harbour, Back Cove Cottage, being an obvious favourite. Has anyone stayed there recently? Are there any other great cottages in this area? Thank you.

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cottages for rent

There are many places near water and beaches, but few are right ON a beach.

Also, watch out for rentals that may be attractive , but then may be private and not licensed. "You takes your chances" we say.

The West side of Cape Breton faces West, so that is good for sunsets. The waters on the West side are far warmer than on the Atlantic Side. In Margaree to Belle Cote , you can fish for salmon or trout, or go whale watching , or get to many family restaurants for a traditional lobster or crab dinner.

There are several good beaches, all sandy , all warm, where even a 3 year old can play with his new "buddies" while all the parents enjoy their day cause the kids are more interested in making a dam on a small stream than being in the water swimming. By the way, they've been building these dams for 40 years .

Petersfield, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cottages for rent

Thank you for your response, much appreciated. How do I find out if a rental property is licensed?

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cottages for rent

well, now I'll give a futher bit of help.

The website Novascotia.com only has licensed properties.

Also suggest , you "negotiate" as directly as you can with cottage owners rather than through a middle person, such as our central reservation system, or a website company, for the simple reason, the central reservation system people only have so much information, so by talking to the owners , you'll usually get a better feel for what's in their location, but also a better feel for just who your host will be.

You are also better to select a location where the host/owner lives nearby.

Now, there is a lot to see and do on Cape Breton. The distances are not large but do realize that the Cabot Trail is a loop, and there are no short-cuts or cross country routes for Northern Cape Breton from the Margaree area around the tip to the Englishtown area.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cottages for rent

Caperbeach has given you good advice re the licensed accommodations properties in Nova Scotia. Far too often those of us in the accommodation sector hear "horror" stories about travellers renting a property from a website/newspaper ad/etc only to arrive at their destination & find a "shack" rather than the advertised "deluxe cottage"!

You have time to check www.novascotia.com & order the 2009 Doers' & Dreamers' Guide just to start your trip planning. Then, in early 2010, you can re-order a 2010 Guide.

Incidently, it was great to see Petersfield, U.K., as your "address". I used to live in the southern U. K. area (near Emsworth) & visited friends in Petersfield quite often. Lovely spot!

Petersfield, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cottages for rent

Thank you Suncatcher. I've ordered Doers and Dreamers, looking forward to having a look through that.

You are right Petersfield is a lovely place, the whole South Downs area is just fantastic, hopefully with the new national park status it will be protected for longer for more to enjoy.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cottages for rent

Hi!

I stayed at the Back Cove Cottages in Neil's Harbour and LOVED it! The people were absolutely fabulous. You are a minute off the trail with loads of stuff to do.

Our little cottage had two bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and living room. There's a porch off the front and one off of the main bedroom with fantastic views of the ocean. Super clean!

I hope to go back there again in the future!

Please feel free to email Kathy MacKinnon (owner). She'll send you pictures and pricing..she's lovely!

backcovecottage@ns.sympatico.ca

Take care..

Kelly

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cottages for rent

To the property renters who write on this site.

What is the criteria to be listed with the province? Are your properties inspected every year to ensure the standards are met?

Stayed at a private rental this past summer on the Fundy coast and it was fantastic. Have also stayed at a private rental in PEI and it was the same.

Every time I read these comments I have the feeling your belittling the private renters.

Was this issue not resolved by the govt. of the day after the problems with the South Shore MLA who was renting cottages?

I suppose one could stop by an Access Nova Scotia office for the info for listing a property with the province.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cottages for rent

It is not a matter of "belittling" the private rental owners but a note of caution to the potential renters. Perhaps you remember (or heard the CBC interview with the tourist) the horror story of the cottage rental on the Northumberland Strait last season? The deal was done via the advertised property's website but was definitely "not as shown".

To become a licensed rental property, you contact the NS Dept of Tourism & Culture & obtain the package that pertains to your property ( cottage, camp ground, B&B, etc.). The basic requirements for water tests, insurance, NS business registration, fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, etc. are well outlined. Once you understand what is necessary/needed then you ask to meet with a provincial Tourism Dept Inspector &/or Fire Inspector at the property. The Inspector goes over the property "with a fine tooth comb" looking at such things as adequate lighting, state of repair, & linens according to your category. A friend of mine has just registered a cottage with the province &, during the inspection, it was determined by the Fire Inspector that the stairs to the upper loft area were not positioned correctly. The stairs are now changed.

A responsible accommodation owner is willing to meet the province's standards & pay the costs associated with these standards for both the safety of their guests & their own peace of mind. In return, we get to advertise through the provincial Guide, be on the www.novascotia.com website, & put our brochures in the VICs. We also get to bend the ears of Tourism employees at various seminars held throughout the year with our "beautiful thoughts" on our sector of the tourism industry!

One other thing to consider is the fact that the quality approved accommodation owners pay taxes on their earnings plus some of us, depending on income, collect & pay HST. If someone is renting out a private rental property, are they paying taxes on the income? Think of the amount of $$ that could be going into our Healthcare System.

There is still a licensing & inspection process in place. The confusion about this is because the media "jumped the gun" when the entire process was re-evaluated a few years ago. Many,many meetings were held to determine how the industry stakeholders felt about this issue & the majority of smaller accommodation owners wanted to have the licensing/inspection (for which we pay) requirements remain.

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cottages for rent

SuncatcherTruro has answered Oneeyedlove's question on licenced properties well. There are really three issues here: quality, taxes and legality. I can't say much more on the quality issue other than, yes, the Province, as part of the licencing arrangement, inspects properties before they open and then is supposed to inspect every property every year. Over the last few years this inspection has morphed into every 2 years unless there is some problem with the property.

Suncatcher didn't really talk about the legality issue. Under the current Tourist Accommodations Act it is ILLEGAL (ie against the law) to rent out any property to the travelling public for any period less than 30 days. If you rent for more than 30 days you are actually covered under a different Act. Essentially, people who rent to tourists and aren't licenced are breaking the law. While my comparison may raise the hackles with some individuals, essentially those who rent unlicenced properties are the "bootleggers" of the tourism industry. That doesn't say that there aren't some really good properties that aren't licenced, but you just don't know, ie "buyer beware". I don't think that that is the kind of tourism industry we really want to promote in Nova Scotia. Unfortunately, being licenced also doesn't guarantee a good property and a good tourism experience. When a problem does arise with a licenced property however, the Department has the authority (but not necessarily the will) to deal with it. It costs very little to get your property licenced which really begs the question of why people don't do it. Generally they don't get licenced either because they don't meet the appropriate standards or they are trying to operate outside of the tax system. Either way, it is inappropriate.

Cheers

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cottages for rent

Hi!

If it helps...I did find my cottage in the Doers & Dreams guide. I had a 2 inch by 2 inch photo to go on and then e-mailed the owner who provided further information. I did take a chance and it was even better than what I expected it to be, but I know it isn't always the case.

Kind regards,

Kelly

Get answers to your questions about Cape Breton Island